Thermodynamics problem with relative humidity

In summary, to find the net mass of water expelled during one breathing cycle, we use the psychrometric chart to find the specific humidity of the intake and exhaled air, then calculate the mass of water in each using the formula mw = ω * ma or mw = ω * me. Finally, we subtract the mass of water in the intake air from the mass of water in the exhaled air to get the net mass of water expelled.
luysion

Homework Statement

After taking a deep breath, the mass of air expelled when I exhale is approximately 2.5g. The intake air is at 18deg dry bulb temperature at 60% relative humidity, and the air exhaled is at 100% relative humidity at a temperature of 32deg. The net mass of water expelled during one breathing cycle is (in mg)

a)49
b)58
c)65
d)73
e)81

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the psychometric chart, and I found the M.C for both cases and calculated the mw for inhaling and exhaling, found the difference, but my answer was not the same as the answer given.

could someone please show me to how to do this question cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It is great to see that you have already tried using the psychometric chart to solve this problem. However, I believe there may be a mistake in your calculation. Here is how I would approach this problem:

First, let's find the mass of water in the intake air. We can do this by finding the specific humidity (ω) using the given dry bulb temperature and relative humidity. Using the psychrometric chart, we can see that at 18°C and 60% relative humidity, the specific humidity is approximately 0.006 kg/kg.

Next, we can use the formula mw = ω * ma, where mw is the mass of water, ω is the specific humidity, and ma is the mass of air. In this case, the mass of air we are inhaling is 2.5g (or 0.0025 kg). Plugging in these values, we get mw = 0.006 * 0.0025 = 0.000015 kg.

Now, let's find the mass of water in the exhaled air. Using the same formula, we can see that the mass of water in the exhaled air is given by mw = ω * me, where me is the mass of exhaled air. We know that the total mass of air we are exhaling is 2.5g, but we also know that this includes the mass of water vapor. So, we need to subtract the mass of water vapor from the total mass to get the mass of dry air. The mass of water vapor can be found using the psychrometric chart again, at 32°C and 100% relative humidity, the specific humidity is approximately 0.025 kg/kg. Therefore, the mass of dry air is 2.5g - (0.025 * 2.5g) = 2.4375g (or 0.0024375 kg). Plugging this into the formula, we get mw = 0.025 * 0.0024375 = 0.0000609375 kg.

Finally, to find the net mass of water expelled during one breathing cycle, we simply subtract the mass of water in the intake air from the mass of water in the exhaled air. This gives us 0.0000609375 - 0.000015 = 0

1. What is the definition of relative humidity in thermodynamics?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a specific temperature.

2. How is relative humidity calculated in thermodynamics?

Relative humidity is calculated by dividing the actual water vapor content of the air by the maximum water vapor capacity of the air at a given temperature, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Why is relative humidity important in thermodynamics?

Relative humidity is important in thermodynamics because it affects the transfer of heat and energy in systems. Changes in relative humidity can impact the amount of water vapor in the air, which can in turn affect temperature, pressure, and other thermodynamic properties.

4. How does relative humidity affect the human body?

High relative humidity can make it difficult for the body to cool itself through sweat evaporation, leading to discomfort and potential health issues. Low relative humidity can cause dryness and irritation in the respiratory system and skin.

5. How can relative humidity be controlled in thermodynamics?

Relative humidity can be controlled in thermodynamics through the use of humidifiers or dehumidifiers, which add or remove water vapor from the air. The temperature of the air can also be adjusted to affect relative humidity.