Thermodynamics - Quasi 1-D Air Mixture

In summary, the problem involves a constant area mixing tube with two stations (1 and 2) and two air streams (Primary and Secondary) with known velocities, temperatures, and pressure at station 1. The objective is to find the pressure, velocity, and temperature at station 2 using equations for continuity, conservation of momentum, and 1st law of thermodynamics. However, there may be an assumption missing that is necessary to solve for the conditions at station 2.
Kolodny

Homework Statement

Constant area mixing tube with stations (1) and (2) (i.e., (1)-->-->--(2))
At station (1):
- Mixture of two air streams, defined as Primary (p) and Secondary (s)
u_p = 300 m/s
T_p = 900K
u_s = 30 m/s
T_s = 300K
p_1 = 0.1 MPa
(A_p)/(A_s) = 1/3

1-D flow assumed

Find: Pressure, Velocity, and Temperature at station (2)

Homework Equations

[itex]\dot{m}_{1}=\dot{m}_{2}[/itex] (Continuity)
[itex]\dot{m}_{1}h_{01}=\dot{m}_{2}h_{02}[/itex] (1st Law)
[itex]\sum \vec{F}=\frac{d}{dt}\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dV}+\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dA} [/itex](Conservation of Momentum)
[itex]p=\rho R T[/itex] (perfect-gas law)

The Attempt at a Solution

From Continuity:
[itex]\dot{m}_{p}+\dot{m}_{s}=\dot{m}_{2}[/itex]
[itex]\rho_{p}u_{p}A_{p}+\rho_{s}u_{s}A_{s}=\rho_{2}u_{2}A_{2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}=\rho_{2}u_{2}[/itex]

From 1st law:
[itex]\dot{m}_{p}(h_{p}+\frac{1}{2}u_{p}^{2})+\dot{m}_{s}(h_{s}+\frac{1}{2}u_{s}^{2})=\dot{m}_{2}(h_{2}+\frac{1}{2}u_{2}^{2})[/itex] (incidentally, anyone know why this LaTeX isn't working properly?)
[itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}(c_{p_{p}}T_{p}+\frac{1}{2}u_{p}^{2})+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}(c_{p_{s}}T_{s}+\frac{1}{2}u_{s}^{2})=\rho_{2}u_{2}(c_{p_{2}}T_{2}+\frac{1}{2}u_{2}^{2})[/itex]

From Conservation of Momentum:
[itex]\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dA}=p_{1}-p_{2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}^{2}+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}^{2}-\rho_{2}u_{2}=p_{1}-p_{2}[/itex]

I can get [itex]\rho_{2}u_{2}[/itex] and the stagnation enthalpy at station 2, but beyond that I'm not sure how to proceed. I feel like there's an assumption that I'm missing which would allow me to calculate [itex]p_{2}[/itex] or some other condition at station 2, and then use the perfect-gas law to fill things out, but I'm not sure what that is. I freely admit that there's probably something about how the conditions necessary to apply these equations interact which I'm not understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry you have no replies yet. I personally don't know what a mixing tube is. A diagram would help.

Related to Thermodynamics - Quasi 1-D Air Mixture

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations. It involves the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy, and how these factors affect the behavior of matter.

2. What is a quasi 1-D air mixture?

A quasi 1-D air mixture is a type of gas mixture that is assumed to have a one-dimensional flow behavior, meaning that the flow variables (such as pressure, temperature, and velocity) vary only in one direction. This simplification allows for easier analysis and calculations in certain thermodynamic systems.

3. What is the difference between quasi 1-D and 1-D air mixture?

The main difference between quasi 1-D and 1-D air mixture is that while quasi 1-D assumes a one-dimensional flow behavior, 1-D assumes a truly one-dimensional flow behavior, meaning that the flow variables do not vary at all in the transverse direction. Quasi 1-D is a simplification whereas 1-D is a more accurate representation, but both have their uses in thermodynamic analysis.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to quasi 1-D air mixtures?

Thermodynamics applies to quasi 1-D air mixtures in the same way as it applies to any other thermodynamic system. The laws of thermodynamics, such as conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics, still hold true. However, the simplifications made in assuming quasi 1-D behavior may affect the accuracy of certain calculations and analysis.

5. What are some practical applications of thermodynamics in quasi 1-D air mixtures?

Some practical applications of thermodynamics in quasi 1-D air mixtures include the analysis of air compressors, turbines, and other devices that involve the flow of air. It can also be applied in the design of jet engines and other propulsion systems. In addition, thermodynamics in quasi 1-D air mixtures is used in the study of supersonic and hypersonic flow, where the flow behavior can be approximated as one-dimensional.