Thermodynamics resistance temperature scale

In summary, there is an error in the given homework statement where α and β are incorrectly labeled as being in K instead of C. The correct equations should use C as the unit of measurement for temperature. This correction was made by the teacher after the statement was given. To find the ideal gas temperature on the resistance scale, the equations need to be solved for the given conditions. The concept of temperature scale was not fully understood, but further research has clarified it.
jeremyskate

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

IMPORTANT:There is an error in the statement.α and β are in C not K

2. Homework Equations

R=Ro(1 +αt+βt2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what to do because if I isolate t in the equation it will give me the temperature on the ideal gas scale whereas the temperature I need to find is on the resistance scale.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-read the problem statement: where is "K" used? What does the "correction" imply should be used instead?

The temperature is in celsius degrees not kelvin so the constant α is in celcius^-1 and β in celcius^-2 in order to negate t and t^2. This is a correction our teacher made after giving us the statement. Is that what you were reffering to?

Yes.

Are you saying I simply need to solve R for the given conditions? Because that would give me a value of resistance not temperature and the exersice is to find the ideal gas temperature equivalent on the resistance scale.

1. What is the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale?

The Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale is a temperature scale based on measuring the electrical resistance of a metal at different temperatures. It is used to accurately measure very high and very low temperatures.

2. How is the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale different from other temperature scales?

The Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale is different from other temperature scales, such as Celsius or Fahrenheit, because it is not based on any physical property of a substance, but rather on the electrical resistance of a metal. This makes it more accurate for extreme temperatures.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale?

The unit of measurement for the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale is the ohm (Ω). This unit represents the electrical resistance of a material at a given temperature.

4. How is the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale calculated?

The Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale is calculated using the Callendar-Van Dusen equation, which takes into account the electrical resistance of a metal at three different temperatures and uses that data to determine the resistance at other temperatures. This allows for a more accurate and consistent measurement of temperature.

5. What are the practical applications of the Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale?

The Thermodynamics Resistance Temperature Scale is used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in the calibration of thermometers, temperature sensors, and other measuring equipment. It is also used in industries where extreme temperatures need to be accurately measured, such as in metallurgy, aerospace, and nuclear energy.