Thermodynamics study questions

In summary: The final left-hand volume is equal to the initial left-hand volume multiplied by (64/27) which is equal to V0.
dcrisci
THIS WAS MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM, SO THERE IS NO TEMPLATE. HOWEVER, THE OP DID SHOW SOME EFFORT

Hello, I have been having troubles beginning these two problems given for exam prep. Was wondering if anyone could give guidance on where to begin.

Problem 1:
A cylinder with adiabatically isolated walls is closed at both ends and is divided into two volumes by a frictionless piston that is also thermally insulating. Initially, the volume, temperature and pressure of the ideal gas on each side of the cylinder are equal at V0, T0 and p0, respectively. A heating coil, inserted in the right hand volume, is used to heat slowly the gas on that side until the pressure reaches (64/27) p0 = 2.37 p0. If the heat capacity CV of the gas is independent of temperature, and Cp/CV = 1.5,
(a) find first the entropy change of the gas on the left (no calculation needed for this step!),
(b) then calculate the final left–hand volume in terms of V0,
(c) and finally, calculate the final temperature in terms of T0 on the left hand side.

For this problem, I am unsure of (b). For (a) I determined that since the system is adiabatically isolated, and the piston is also thermally insulating, no heat can enter or exit the volume on the left. Because of this the change in entropy is equal to zero since Q = 0.
(b) is slightly confusing for me since I don't where to begin. If we heat up the RHS with the heating coil and then shut it off when pressure reaches 2.37p0, we are unsure if the volume has remained the same while the temperature and pressure increase.
I figure part (c) requires part (b) to solve so I haven't gotten this far.

Problem 2:
A column of water contains fine metal particles of radius 20 nm, which are in thermal equilibrium at 25°C. If there are 1000 such particles per unit volume at a given height h0 in the water column, how many particles would be found in the same volume 1.0 mm higher than h0? The density of the used metal is ρ = 20.0 g/cm3.

For this problem I have not made any progress on it as I have no clue what equations pertain to this problem and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
THIS WAS MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM, SO THERE IS NO TEMPLATE. HOWEVER, THE OP DID SHOW SOME EFFORT
Hello, I have been having troubles beginning these two problems given for exam prep. Was wondering if anyone could give guidance on where to begin.
PLEASE MOVE PROBLEM 2 TO A NEW THREAD. WE SHOULD NOT POST TWO PROBLEMS IN THE SAME THREAD. THIS CREATES GREAT CONFUSION. AFTER YOU START THE NEW THREAD FOR PROBLEM 2, I WILL EDIT IT OUT OF THIS THREAD.
Problem 1:
A cylinder with adiabatically isolated walls is closed at both ends and is divided into two volumes by a frictionless piston that is also thermally insulating. Initially, the volume, temperature and pressure of the ideal gas on each side of the cylinder are equal at V0, T0 and p0, respectively. A heating coil, inserted in the right hand volume, is used to heat slowly the gas on that side until the pressure reaches (64/27) p0 = 2.37 p0. If the heat capacity CV of the gas is independent of temperature, and Cp/CV = 1.5,
(a) find first the entropy change of the gas on the left (no calculation needed for this step!),
(b) then calculate the final left–hand volume in terms of V0,
(c) and finally, calculate the final temperature in terms of T0 on the left hand side.

For this problem, I am unsure of (b). For (a) I determined that since the system is adiabatically isolated, and the piston is also thermally insulating, no heat can enter or exit the volume on the left. Because of this the change in entropy is equal to zero since Q = 0.
This is correct.
(b) is slightly confusing for me since I don't where to begin. If we heat up the RHS with the heating coil and then shut it off when pressure reaches 2.37p0, we are unsure if the volume has remained the same while the temperature and pressure increase.
How do the pressures on the two sides compare when the system reaches the final state? What is the relationship between pressure and volume in the left chamber which, as you have already pointed out, is experiencing an adiabatic reversible compression?

Chestermiller said:
How do the pressures on the two sides compare when the system reaches the final state? What is the relationship between pressure and volume in the left chamber which, as you have already pointed out, is experiencing an adiabatic reversible compression?

So what I have gotten is that P0V0γ = PfVfγ

And from that I have found that the volume on the RHS (with the heating coil) has a final volume of ## \frac{V_0}{2.37^\frac{2}{3}} ##
Does this seem correct?
Then with this value I used the fact that the cylinder has a volume of ## 2 V_0 ## and then the volume of the LHS will be the difference between these two.
## V_{LHS} = 2 V_0 - \frac{V_0}{2.37^\frac{2}{3}} = 1.437 V_0 ##

Also for the temperature on the LHS I used the equation:
V0T0γ = VfTfγ
Rearranged it for the final temperature to get
## T_f = T_0 [\frac{V_f}{V_0}]^\frac{1}{γ} ##
Which have an answer of
## T_f = 0.785 T_0 ##
Note the value of γ that I used was 3/2

dcrisci said:
So what I have gotten is that P0V0γ = PfVfγ

And from that I have found that the volume on the RHS (with the heating coil) has a final volume of ## \frac{V_0}{2.37^\frac{2}{3}} ##
Does this seem correct?
Yes.
There was a reason they also expressed it as 64/27. What is 64/27 raised to the 2/3 power (as a proper fraction)? I get 16/9.

Then with this value I used the fact that the cylinder has a volume of ## 2 V_0 ## and then the volume of the LHS will be the difference between these two.
## V_{LHS} = 2 V_0 - \frac{V_0}{2.37^\frac{2}{3}} = 1.437 V_0 ##

You already determined the volume of the left hand chamber as 0.5625 V0. The calculation you have shown here would be for the volume of the right hand chamber.

Also for the temperature on the LHS I used the equation:
V0T0γ = VfTfγ
Rearranged it for the final temperature to get
## T_f = T_0 [\frac{V_f}{V_0}]^\frac{1}{γ} ##
Which have an answer of
## T_f = 0.785 T_0 ##
Note the value of γ that I used was 3/2
Once you knew the pressure and volume of the left chamber, you could have used the ideal gas law to determine the temperature. I get (4/3)T0.

Actually, the only mistake you made was using the volume of the right hand chamber in the calculation.

Chestermiller said:
Yes.
There was a reason they also expressed it as 64/27. What is 64/27 raised to the 2/3 power (as a proper fraction)? I get 16/9.
You already determined the volume of the left hand chamber as 0.5625 V0. The calculation you have shown here would be for the volume of the right hand chamber.Once you knew the pressure and volume of the left chamber, you could have used the ideal gas law to determine the temperature. I get (4/3)T0.

Actually, the only mistake you made was using the volume of the right hand chamber in the calculation.

How would it be the volume of the left hand chamber being 0.5625 V0, It says in the question that the heating coil is in the right hand side and is in it until the pressure is 2.37 P0.
"A heating coil, inserted in the right hand volume, is used to heat slowly the gas on that side until the pressure reaches (64/27) p0 = 2.37 p0"
So if the right hand side is at this pressure, and we use the equation I gave above, wouldn't we be finding the final volume on the right hand side?

dcrisci said:
How would it be the volume of the left hand chamber being 0.5625 V0, It says in the question that the heating coil is in the right hand side and is in it until the pressure is 2.37 P0.
At equilibrium, the pressures in the two chambers have to be equal. Otherwise, the piston won't be in force equilibrium.

"A heating coil, inserted in the right hand volume, is used to heat slowly the gas on that side until the pressure reaches (64/27) p0 = 2.37 p0"
So if the right hand side is at this pressure, and we use the equation I gave above, wouldn't we be finding the final volume on the right hand side?
No. The right chamber is not adiabatic.

Chestermiller said:
At equilibrium, the pressures in the two chambers have to be equal. Otherwise, the piston won't be in force equilibrium.No. The right chamber is not adiabatic.

So the question is really saying that the heating coil is in the RHS until the pressure in the LHS is 2.37 P0, and that's the side we work with because Q = 0 on that side?
I always did think that the volume on the RHS (chamber with heating coil) was supposed to increase, but the question is worded weird and difficult to understand I guess.

dcrisci said:
So the question is really saying that the heating coil is in the RHS until the pressure in the LHS is 2.37 P0, and that's the side we work with because Q = 0 on that side?
Yes. But note that the 2.37 P0 is the final pressure in both chambers.
I always did think that the volume on the RHS (chamber with heating coil) was supposed to increase, but the question is worded weird and difficult to understand I guess.
It didn't seem confusing to me. The focus of this problem was the left chamber.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. But note that the 2.37 P0 is the final pressure in both chambers.

OHHH that makes much more sense to me now! Thank you!
I will post a solution of this soon enough

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies how these factors affect each other and how they are affected by changes in the system.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total disorder (entropy) of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a pure crystal will approach zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of how much energy an object has.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to real-world systems?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle that applies to all physical systems, including real-world systems. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of energy and matter in various systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It is also crucial in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

5. What is the role of entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it plays a crucial role in determining the direction and efficiency of energy transfer and conversion. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase, meaning that systems tend to move towards a state of higher disorder or randomness.