Thermodynamics Textbook (English)

In summary, the physics department at the speaker's college is searching for a good Thermodynamics book for next semester. The best option they have found so far is "FIZICA FENOMENELOR TERMICE" by C.N. PLĂVIŢU, which is in Romanian. The speaker is asking if anyone knows if an English or Hebrew translation of the book is available. They also mention that "Thermal Physics" might be a good category to search under. The speaker is not sure if other popular Thermodynamics books such as Reif and Kittel have been considered. They hope to find a translation of the book, as it will be the professor's responsibility to choose a good book for the course.
mbrmbrg
Hi, the physics department at my (undergrad) college is looking around for a good Thermodynamics book for next semester.

So far, the best thing they found (and it sounds really good) is in Romanian. So... does anybody know if
FIZICA FENOMENELOR TERMICE by C.N. PLĂVIŢU
is available in English? (Come to think of it, if the book is available in Hebrew, that m i g h t help, too.)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
He might want to look under "Thermal Physics" as well.

I assume Reif and Kittel have been examined and found wanting. (Sorry, I'm not really being helpful, either.)

I was just hoping for that one translation. Anything other than that is professor's problem, anyway, right? That is, unless the book assigned is really lousy, in which case it is majorly my problem... :rolleyes:
Thanks, guys! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a thermodynamics textbook?

A thermodynamics textbook is used to explain the fundamental principles and laws of thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformation. It provides a foundation for understanding various physical processes and systems, and is essential for many fields of science and engineering.

2. What topics are typically covered in a thermodynamics textbook?

A thermodynamics textbook will typically cover topics such as thermodynamic laws, thermodynamic systems and processes, heat and work, energy conservation, entropy, and thermodynamic cycles. It may also include applications of thermodynamics in areas such as heat engines, refrigeration, and phase transitions.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding a thermodynamics textbook?

A strong background in physics and mathematics is usually necessary to fully understand a thermodynamics textbook. This includes knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and basic principles of mechanics and energy.

4. How can a thermodynamics textbook be applied in real-world situations?

A thermodynamics textbook provides the theoretical foundation for understanding and analyzing various physical processes and systems. This knowledge can be applied in real-world situations, such as designing efficient engines and power plants, understanding the behavior of materials, and developing new technologies.

5. Are there any recommended thermodynamics textbooks for beginners?

Some popular thermodynamics textbooks for beginners include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Çengel and Michael A. Boles, "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran and Howard N. Shapiro, and "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Yunus A. Çengel and Afshin J. Ghajar. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your level of understanding and course requirements.