Thesis topic in wireless power transmission

In summary, wireless power transmission is the process of transferring electrical energy without the use of physical wires or cables. It works by using electromagnetic fields to transfer energy from a transmitter to a receiver. The benefits of this technology include convenience, efficiency, and safety, but there are challenges such as energy loss and health risks. It is currently being used in various applications, including charging devices and powering medical implants, with potential for use in long-distance power transmission and space exploration.
RMIT
Hi all

I'm an electrical engineering student currently looking for a thesis topic. I did a project previously in wireless power transmission based on inductive resonance coupling with different designs for the transmitter and receiver. I'm very interested in this topic, mainly wireless power transmission and specifically inductive resonance. However, I couldn't come up with a research topic in this area. I'd really appreciate if your help and thoughts. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maximising power-transfer efficiency within a normal sized house.

1. What is wireless power transmission?

Wireless power transmission is the process of transferring electrical energy from a power source to an electronic device without the use of physical wires or cables.

2. How does wireless power transmission work?

Wireless power transmission uses electromagnetic fields to transfer energy from a power source, such as a transmitter, to a receiver. The transmitter converts electrical energy into an oscillating electromagnetic field, which is then picked up by the receiver and converted back into electrical energy for use in the electronic device.

3. What are the benefits of wireless power transmission?

Wireless power transmission eliminates the need for physical wires or cables, making it a more convenient and efficient way to charge electronic devices. It also reduces the risk of electrical hazards and is more environmentally friendly compared to traditional wired power transmission methods.

4. What are the challenges of implementing wireless power transmission?

One of the main challenges of wireless power transmission is the loss of energy during the transfer process, which can affect the efficiency of the system. There are also concerns about potential health risks from exposure to high-frequency electromagnetic fields. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and there are limitations in terms of distance and power transfer capabilities.

5. How is wireless power transmission being used in real-world applications?

Wireless power transmission is currently being used in a variety of applications, including wireless charging for smartphones and other electronic devices, electric vehicle charging, and powering medical implants. It is also being researched for potential use in long-distance power transmission for remote areas and in space exploration.