Wireless power transfer topics

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's M.Sc research on wireless power transfer using resonant inductive coupling. The student is seeking advice on what topics to study in order to master this research, specifically to increase efficiency. The other person asks for the student's thoughts and any information sources they have looked at so far.
Abd El Rahman
Hello ,

I am doing my M.Sc in wireless power transfer using resonant inductive coupling.I want to know what topics i should read and understand to master this research.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Abd El Rahman said:
Hello ,

I am doing my M.Sc in wireless power transfer using resonant inductive coupling.I want to know what topics i should read and understand to master this research.
Welcome to the PF.

Since this is for your schoolwork, what are your thoughts so far?

my thoughts is to increase the efficiency of power transfer using inductive resonance between the transmitter and receiver.However the know-how of this is not clear for me till now.

If you have knowledge about any good reference for this , please inform me

Abd El Rahman said:
If you have knowledge about any good reference for this , please inform me
But what information sources have you looked at so far? Show us that you have been doing some work on this research please...

1. What is wireless power transfer?

Wireless power transfer is the process of transmitting electrical energy from a power source to an electronic device without the use of physical wires or cables. It uses electromagnetic fields to transfer energy between two objects, typically a transmitter and a receiver.

2. How does wireless power transfer work?

Wireless power transfer works by using electromagnetic induction, resonance, or microwaves to transfer energy wirelessly. In electromagnetic induction, electricity flows through a coil in the transmitter, creating a magnetic field that induces a current in a nearby coil in the receiver. In resonance, the transmitter and receiver are tuned to the same frequency, allowing for efficient energy transfer. Microwaves use a similar principle but operate at a higher frequency.

3. What are the benefits of wireless power transfer?

Wireless power transfer offers several benefits, including convenience, safety, and versatility. It eliminates the need for tangled wires and charging cables, making it more convenient for users. It also reduces the risk of electrical hazards, as there are no exposed wires or connectors. Additionally, wireless power transfer can be used for a wide range of electronic devices, from smartphones to electric vehicles.

4. What are the challenges of wireless power transfer?

One of the main challenges of wireless power transfer is efficiency. Since energy is transmitted through the air, there can be losses due to distance, interference, and other factors. Another challenge is the standardization of wireless power transfer technology, as there are currently multiple competing standards. Safety is also a concern, as there are potential health risks associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields.

5. Where is wireless power transfer currently being used?

Wireless power transfer is currently being used in various applications, including smartphones, wearables, and electric vehicles. It is also being implemented in public spaces, such as coffee shops and airports, for wireless charging stations. Additionally, there is ongoing research and development for wireless power transfer in medical devices, industrial equipment, and smart home systems.