Thevenin equivalent of resistor only circuit

In summary, the Thevenin equivalent circuit is used to simplify complex circuits and can be used to find input, output, and load resistances. The equivalent circuit may consist of just one resistor and does not necessarily need to have a voltage source, although it may be meaningless in practical terms. The question of where the Thevenin voltage is measured from lacks clarity.
bpatyk2

Homework Statement

Find thevenin equivalent of resistor circuit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This may be a dumb question, but does a thevenin equivalent NEED to have a voltage source? On my final exam there was a question that asked for the thevenin equivalent of a circuit that was only resistors. Finding the thevenin resistance was no problem so I just put that resistance in series with a 0V voltage source. Can the thevenin equivalent be just a resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... I think in practical terms it's pretty meaningless to call a resistor network reduced down to one resistor a "Thevenin equivalent" but I suppose technically it is.

Yeah that's kinda why I don't see why that type of circuit would be used on an exam to ask for a thevenin equivalent circuit. If there was even one type of independent or dependent source involved i could see the point, but there was none.

The Thevian equivalent circuit is used for giving simple values to complex circuits.

There are many situations where you are going to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit using the thevian theorem, such as finding a circuits input resistance, output resistance, and load. In all of those cases, there will not be any voltage sources on the circuit.

I see your point. However, that is pretty common. Think of it as a circuit with 0 V (independent) source.

Hey,thevinin voltage across which two point? Is it across a resistor? Or any resistor in the network?
I think the question lacks clarity

Related to Thevenin equivalent of resistor only circuit

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified version of a complex circuit that contains only a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to represent the behavior of a complex circuit, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is the Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is calculated by finding the open circuit voltage (Voc) and the equivalent resistance (Req) of the original circuit. The open circuit voltage is the voltage measured across the output terminals of the circuit with no load connected, while the equivalent resistance is the resistance seen from the output terminals when all independent sources are turned off.

3. Why is the Thevenin equivalent circuit important?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as the Thevenin equivalent can be used to predict the behavior of the original circuit.

4. Can the Thevenin equivalent circuit be used for any type of circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit can only be used for linear circuits, which means that the relationship between voltage and current in the circuit must be linear (obey Ohm's law). Non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes, cannot be simplified using the Thevenin equivalent.

5. How do you verify the accuracy of the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The accuracy of the Thevenin equivalent circuit can be verified by comparing the output voltage and current of the original circuit with the output voltage and current of the Thevenin equivalent circuit. If they are the same, then the Thevenin equivalent is accurate. Additionally, the Thevenin equivalent can be used to calculate the output voltage and current at different load values, and the results can be compared to the original circuit to verify accuracy.