Thevenin equivalent, (superposition?)

In summary, the homework statement is finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit with respect to terminals a, B for the circuit and finding also the Norton equivalent circuit with respect to the terminals A, B, for the circuit.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/2387/homeworktest2prob2.jpg

a. Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit with respect to terminals a, B for the circuit.

b. Find also the Norton equivalent circuit with respect to the terminals A, B, for the circuit

Homework Equations

V = IR

current division, voltage division,

KCL, KVLThevenin procedure, Norton procedure.

The Attempt at a Solution

With the load cut out, 4Ω disappears and

25V/5Ω + 3A = Vb/20Ω

100V + 60V = Vb

Vb = 160V, VTh = 160VI need help mainly with getting RThI don't know if I can just simplify the resistors from A to B with that current source (do I cut it out so it becomes an open circuit? I know you put a wire to short the 25V while doing it though).

Trying RTh = VTh/Ino instead, then a wire goes from a to b, then once I do that I try to use superposition (so might need help here with that too:)

With the 3A cut out the equivalent R is 8.3Ω with 25V so I' = 3A

then with the 25V silenced the current is just I'' = 3A, right? Because that's the total current in?

So 3A + 3A = 6A

Ino = 6ASo for RTh I get 160V / 26.6A

= 6ΩBut I don't think it's correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your node equation is not correct. The potential difference across the 5Ω resistor is not 25V. What potentials are at either end of this resistor?

I find that the simplest way to write a node equation is to assume that either all currents flow into the node or all currents flow out. Then all the terms can be written on one side of the equation and their sum must equal zero.

Since there are no dependent supplies, you can suppress all the supplies and calculate the net resistance of the network as seen from terminals a-b.

Ahh thanks, my bad, the nodal equation should be:

(25V - Vb)/5 + 3A = Vb/20Ω

So Vb = VTh = 32V then.For the second part do you mean that by suppressing everything that I can do that with the current source too (but only to find RTh)? Would it then just be 4Ω?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Ahh thanks, my bad, the nodal equation should be:

(25V - Vb)/5 + 3A = Vb/20Ω

So Vb = VTh = 32V then.
Yes :approve:
For the second part do you mean that by suppressing everything that I can do that with the current source too (but only to find RTh)? Would it then just be 4Ω?

Yes. Suppress all sources. Remember that current sources aren't suppressed in the same way that voltage sources are...

Ah ok, so it's 8Ω then. Thanks again.

1. What is Thevenin's theorem and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear, two-terminal circuit can be represented by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent and can be used to simplify complex circuits and analyze their behavior.

2. What is the process for finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit, you must first remove the load from the original circuit and calculate the open-circuit voltage across the load terminals. Then, calculate the equivalent resistance by short-circuiting all voltage sources and calculating the total resistance between the load terminals. The Thevenin equivalent voltage is equal to the open-circuit voltage, and the Thevenin equivalent resistance is equal to the equivalent resistance.

3. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, which means that the voltage-current relationship of the circuit components remains constant regardless of the applied voltage or current.

4. What is superposition and how is it related to Thevenin's theorem?

Superposition is a principle that states the response of a linear circuit to multiple independent sources can be determined by calculating the response to each source individually and then summing them. This principle is used in conjunction with Thevenin's theorem to simplify complex circuits with multiple sources and analyze their behavior.

5. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to circuits with dependent sources. The process for finding the Thevenin equivalent is the same, but the dependent sources will remain in the equivalent circuit.