Thévenin resistance and Load resistance vs maximum power

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ideal resistance for a load resistor in a circuit with a new resistor added in parallel. The equations for calculating the Thevenin resistance and maximum power output are provided. The solution is verified and the problem of showing the effect of changing the resistance on power output is discussed. The importance of considering the Thevenin equivalent circuit with a voltage source in series is emphasized.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

RL.PNG

This is the network.

The problem states that a new resistor is put between A and B, in parallel with R4.
I should find the ideal resistance for this load resistor and show that this is indeed the ideal resistance for maximum power output.

Homework Equations

[tex]R_th = R_L-max[/tex]
[tex]P=\frac{E_(th)^2}{4 \times R_th}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined the Thévenin resistance and voltage in an earlier problem and found them to be:
Rth = 1.66 ohm
Eth = 8 Volts
I_R4 (before load resistor is connected) = 4 ampere
This is double checked with the solution.

I have also double checked that the load resistor should be 1.66 ohm to provide maximum power.

The power output is found using the P=formula stated above which gives me 9.36 W.
This is also correct according to the solution.

My problem is showing that with a lower or higher resistance, the power output will drop.
I can't simply put another resistance value into the formula above as the power will increase if I insert a lower resistance.

Can someone kick me a step in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Thevenin equivalent circuit to drive a load resistor R of indeterminate value (it's a variable). Write the expression for the power transferred to R. How might you going about maximizing the power expression with respect to R?

Thanks for your reply, gneill.

When i draw the thevenin circiuit with load resistor connected i will have an 8V dc suppy in parallel with 1,66 ohm thevenin resistor in parallel with 1.66 ohm load resistor.

Using these numbers, i get that the effect in the load resistor is 38W (P=U^2 / R where u=8V and R = 1,66ohm)

So what am I not taking into concideration in this situation?

A Thevenin equivalent consists of a voltage source in SERIES with a Thevenin resistance.

Oh my god.

Thank you.

That implies that even when the text said "a load resistor is connected to R4 in parallel", the load resistor is in series when doing the calculations based on the thevenin equivalents.

The text fooled me.

1. What is Thévenin resistance?

Thévenin resistance is a concept in electrical circuit analysis that represents the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit when viewed from two terminals. It is used to simplify circuit analysis and determine the maximum power transfer to a load.

2. How is Thévenin resistance calculated?

To calculate Thévenin resistance, you must first remove the load and determine the resistance between the two terminals. This includes considering all voltage and current sources as well as any resistors in the circuit. The resulting resistance is the Thévenin resistance.

3. What is load resistance?

Load resistance is the resistance of a device or component in an electrical circuit that is connected to a power source. It is the resistance that the power source must overcome in order to deliver power to the load.

4. What is the relationship between Thévenin resistance and load resistance?

Thévenin resistance and load resistance are related in that they both affect the maximum power transfer in a circuit. The maximum power transfer occurs when the Thévenin resistance is equal to the load resistance. In this case, the load receives the maximum amount of power from the circuit.

5. How does load resistance impact maximum power transfer?

The load resistance plays a crucial role in determining the maximum power transfer in a circuit. If the load resistance is too high, it will limit the amount of power that can be transferred from the circuit. On the other hand, if the load resistance is too low, it may cause the circuit to overheat and potentially damage components. Therefore, it is important to choose an appropriate load resistance to achieve maximum power transfer.