Thinking of rigid solid and NIFR problems

In summary, the conversation discusses an upcoming classical mechanics exam that will cover rigid solid and non-inertial frame of reference chapters. The individual asks for any recommended solved-problems book and is provided with a general approach for solving problems in non-inertial frames as well as some suggested references.
Glomerular
In two weeks I have my clasical mechanics exam. This includes rigid solid and non inertial frame of reference chapters.

Do you know any problem that involves both themes? This is how my exam is going to be :nb)

Also, do you have any solved-problems book you could recommend me?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "rigid solid" are you referring to rigid body mechanics? (such as statics & dynamics?)

Yes :DD

I think I can safely say that the (almost) universal way to approach problems in non-inertial frames is this:
1. Define an inertial frame;
2. Establish the transformation relations between the inertial frame and the non-inertial frame;
3. Write the equations of motion in the inertial frame;
4. Transform the variables to obtain the description in the non-inertial frame.

Here are some references that may be of interest to you:
1. Landau & Lifshitz, Mechanics, Pergamon, 1960, pp. 127-129, Motion in non-inertial frame of reference
2. Goldstein, Classical Mechanics, Addison-Wesley, 1959, pp. 135-140. The Coriolis Force (This is to be read with care and a grain of salt. Goldstein's results are correct (as I recall), but the coriolis term is an acceleration term, not a force.)

You might want to also look (perhaps on the internet or in a library) for information on the Focault pendulum, and for the problem of dropping a pebble down a vertical mine shaft. I seem to remember that these were both discussed in a text by Constant, but I no longer have the book.

I can understand your concern about the upcoming classical mechanics exam. Rigid solid and non-inertial frame of reference problems can be challenging, but with enough practice and understanding, you will be able to tackle them effectively.

One problem that involves both themes is the motion of a spinning top in a non-inertial frame of reference. This problem requires knowledge of the dynamics of a rigid solid and the concept of fictitious forces in a non-inertial frame. Other examples could include the motion of a pendulum attached to a rotating platform or the motion of a gyroscope in a non-inertial frame.

To prepare for your exam, I would recommend practicing a variety of problems that involve both rigid solid and non-inertial frame of reference concepts. This will help you develop a deeper understanding of these topics and improve your problem-solving skills.

As for solved-problems books, I would recommend "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. Both books have a wide range of solved problems, including those related to rigid solid and non-inertial frame of reference, that can help you prepare for your exam.

I wish you all the best for your exam and hope you are able to demonstrate your understanding of these challenging topics. Remember to stay calm and focused during the exam, and don't hesitate to ask for help if needed. Good luck!

Related to Thinking of rigid solid and NIFR problems

1. What is a rigid solid?

A rigid solid is an object that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces. This means that the distance between any two points on the object remains constant.

2. What is the significance of NIFR problems?

NIFR (non-interacting flexible regions) problems are important because they allow us to study the behavior of flexible regions within a rigid solid. These regions can affect the overall stability and mechanical properties of the solid, making them crucial to understand in order to design strong and durable materials.

3. How do you approach a NIFR problem?

The first step in solving a NIFR problem is to identify the flexible regions within the rigid solid and determine their boundaries. Then, mathematical models and equations can be used to analyze the behavior of these regions under different conditions and loads.

4. What are some common applications of rigid solid and NIFR problems?

Rigid solid and NIFR problems are often encountered in engineering disciplines such as structural mechanics, materials science, and biomechanics. They are also important in understanding the properties of biological structures, such as bones and joints.

5. Can rigid solid and NIFR problems be solved analytically?

In most cases, rigid solid and NIFR problems require numerical methods and computer simulations for accurate solutions. However, for simple cases with well-defined boundary conditions, analytical solutions may be possible.