Thistle tube height when setting up gas generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the positioning of the thistle tube and the other tube in a gas generator. The speaker also mentions their preference for a thistle tube with a tap for better control over gas generation. They mention the importance of the tube levels and pressure for successful gas generation. Finally, they suggest using a reliable and safe lab gas generator such as a Kipp's apparatus.
TT0
00665.jpe

For a gas generator like this, I have seen diagrams of the thistle tube in the water, below the other tube or above it, where is it meant to be?

Also, where is the other tube meant to be because I have seen it in multiple positions.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Doesn't look to me like a proper gas generator at all, more like a general idea of one. I would prefer the thistle tube with a tap, otherwise the control over the gas generation is very difficult. If you immerse the end of the thistle tube the gas will not escape through it once the liquid delivered through the thistle tube ends, but a lot depends on the thistle tube diameter and the viscosity of the liquid added. Exact levels of the tubes should be such that the pressure is high enough to force the gas out.

Reliable and safe lab gas generator is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipp's_apparatus

Likes TT0
I see thank you

1. What is a thistle tube and why is it important when setting up a gas generator?

A thistle tube is a glass tube with a narrow section at the bottom and a wider section at the top. It is important when setting up a gas generator because it allows for the separation and collection of gases produced during the reaction.

2. How do I determine the appropriate height for the thistle tube when setting up a gas generator?

The height of the thistle tube should be determined by the volume of gas being produced during the reaction. It should be tall enough to allow for the gas to collect and be safely collected, but not so tall that it risks breaking or overflowing.

3. Can I use any type of glassware as a thistle tube when setting up a gas generator?

No, it is important to use a thistle tube made of heat-resistant glass, such as borosilicate glass, to withstand the heat and pressure of the reaction. Using other types of glassware may result in breakage or contamination of the collected gas.

4. Is it necessary to have a thistle tube when setting up a gas generator?

Yes, a thistle tube is necessary when setting up a gas generator as it allows for the safe collection and separation of gases produced during the reaction. It also helps to regulate the flow of gas and prevent any potential hazards.

5. How do I properly set up the thistle tube when setting up a gas generator?

The thistle tube should be securely attached to the gas generator with a rubber stopper or other appropriate fitting. It should also be positioned at a slight angle to allow for the collected gas to flow into a separate container or collection system. Care should be taken to ensure that the thistle tube is not obstructed and that all connections are secure.