Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility

• Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, the way posts are displayed in threads on PF has changed, with posters' names now appearing in a blue title bar. However, some users have suggested that the names should be in a lighter color for easier visibility. The changes are not yet permanent as Greg is still testing things. Some users have reported issues with the display on iPads and some images not rendering correctly. There are also concerns about the size and placement of avatars. The goal of these changes is to prioritize the content, but some users are finding it difficult to identify who is posting due to the current layout. Suggestions have been made to rearrange the elements or revert back to the previous format. Overall, there are mixed reactions to the changes and some users are
SteamKing said:
I just tried to make a reply in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4470185#post4470185 Post #3
and the Quote feature malfunctioned. The quoted material was shoved over to the extreme RHS of the screen and cut off. I have been able to use the Quote button before without this behavior.

I am using Windows 7 with Firefox V22.0

Same here with FF 23, also Win 7.
I grabbed a screen shot if you want it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:

yes please, thanks!

turbo said:
Notifications shows up with a red underline and I haven't been able to remove it. Any suggestions?
does it say 0?

Updated to FF V23.0 and Quote seems to work fine now.

Nugatory said:

I see it now and fixed it. Also happened on new thread.

Please let me know if you see any other problems!

The twitter link on the main page causes the sidebar to appear at the lower left side of the page. When I delete the twitter node (using Firefox inspect element) the page displays normally. I'm using Firefox 23 and Windows 7.

edit:
But only when I'm logged out. The page displays normally when I'm logged in.

I checked the page source and found this line:
Code:
<a href="[PLAIN]https://twitter.com/share"[/PLAIN]  class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-via="physicsforums">Tweet</a>

But when I log in the line is not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
TurtleMeister said:
The twitter link on the main page causes the sidebar to appear at the lower left side of the page. When I delete the twitter node (using Firefox inspect element) the page displays normally. I'm using Firefox 23 and Windows 7.

What screen resolution. It displays fine for me.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What screen resolution. It displays fine for me.

1600 x 900

TurtleMeister said:
1600 x 900

How frustrating. I am using FF23 on Win7 and changed to 1600x900 and it displays fine. Can you take a screenshot?

This is at the top left of the page:

pf1_zps06f88508.jpg

This is at the middle left of the page:

pf2_zps511e1091.jpg

When I delete the tweet link the problem goes away. But the link is not there when I log in.

I tried to report this link https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111 as being more TV Spam.
When I click on the REPORT button, the report box appears jammed over to the right hand side of the screen and cut off. The Quote Button works normally.

Win 7 and FF V23.0

Greg Bernhardt said:
Use IE 10 and FF 23 and you'll have no problems :)
Hmmm. The long badge names aren't ending up on the next line and I didn't have to upgrade. Must be some sort of magic-istry.

Greg Bernhardt said:
How about now?

Seems to work correctly now. Many thanks, GB

SteamKing said:
Seems to work correctly now. Many thanks, GB

Keep the bug reports coming, thanks for the help! :)

The bug I was seeing seems to be fixed now also. The main page is back to normal.

Borg said:
Hmmm. The long badge names aren't ending up on the next line and I didn't have to upgrade. Must be some sort of magic-istry.
Interesting. This was yesterday on Firefox 3. Today on Firefox 15 the badges are still overlapping and IE 9 works. 3 out of 4 of my browsers display them OK but not the one that I use the most. Oh well.

Not sure if it's part of the format change but, it appears that the exploded view for threads is gone. For example, https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-270543.html used to return a non-paged view that I could search for text in. Now it just returns the first page. I used this because the search page just tells you what thread something is in and doesn't tell you what page your search phrase was in. I used the exploded view to find the actual post in really long threads with many pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
Not sure if it's part of the format change but, it appears that the exploded view for threads is gone.

The archive was removed a couple months ago. It's was an artifact from a different internet age. It was both problematic for search engines and when people linked to those pages instead of the full GUI thread. I'm sorry you found use for it and now it's gone. I find searching within a thread to still be quite effective.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The archive was removed a couple months ago. It's was an artifact from a different internet age. It was both problematic for search engines and when people linked to those pages instead of the full GUI thread. I'm sorry you found use for it and now it's gone. I find searching within a thread to still be quite effective.
Normally searching within a thread is effective enough. However, with something like the Japan Earthquake: nuclear plants thread that's 831 pages long, it's going to take a very long time to find the post that you may be looking for.

Borg said:
Normally searching within a thread is effective enough. However, with something like the Japan Earthquake: nuclear plants thread that's 831 pages long, it's going to take a very long time to find the post that you may be looking for.

I understand, on the other hand, loading an 831 post thread into one page isn't exactly a good idea on the performance end :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
I understand, on the other hand, loading an 831 post thread into one page isn't exactly a good idea on the performance end :)
Slow to load yes but, easy to search. :smile: And I understand that even many long time users may not have even know about this. Can't build a website for just one person. :tongue:

Borg said:
You can use the search function for individual threads. Alternatively, you can directly choose "show results as posts".

mfb said:
You can use the search function for individual threads. Alternatively, you can directly choose "show results as posts".
Thanks. I'll try that.

I had also written a program that would use the exploded thread to search for posting patterns. I guess I'll have to rewrite it to load pages individually if I want to run a test like that again. I'm sure that won't raise any red flags on the server side as I attempt to access 800 pages in 30 seconds. :rolleyes: Seriously though - Greg, let me know if you don't want me doing something like that and I won't. I don't do stuff like that very often and have no plans to do it so it doesn't matter to me either way.

Last edited:
Greg, can you please change the box which appears when clicked "Thanks"? It pops up as a transparent box for me in Google Chrome. Is that intended?

Pranav-Arora said:
Greg, can you please change the box which appears when clicked "Thanks"? It pops up as a transparent box for me in Google Chrome. Is that intended?

Can you post a screenshot? What version of Chrome?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you post a screenshot? What version of Chrome?

I have attached an image. I had trouble clicking the "Submit Thanks" button. Here's the thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4477490#post4477490

Can you click the "Submit Thanks" button?

Version: 28.0.1500.95 m, Chrome says that its the latest one.

Attachments

• thanks box.png
    thanks box.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 460
When someone posts an oversized image like this one (What did I just see, guys?), the other posts remain readable without having to scroll! Thanks Greg. :thumbs:

Is there not a vbulletin plugin that will automatically shrink large images like that down to a set size, on another forum its set at 800 x 600, then to see the full image you click on it and it comes up full sized? Its also good because it saves time loading them, that thread took quite a while to download for me because I'm on a bad connection, also it helps with people that are using mobile connections to save their data usage.

Thanks Greg, looks like the "Thanks" box is fixed. :thumbs:

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Use IE 10 and FF 23 and you'll have no problems :)
Updated to FF23 and I still get this.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 459
Greg Bernhardt said:
What resolution?
My screen resolution is 1920 X 1080. Still happens even if I reduce it to 1440 X 900.

Borg said:
My screen resolution is 1920 X 1080. Still happens even if I reduce it to 1440 X 900.

Strange, I'm on that resolution with FF23 Win7 and it looks ok.