How to model friction in ansys?

In summary, Matt is trying to model the friction between the leaves of a tree in a static structural analysis. He is concerned with other settings such as advanced formulation and interface treatment, but is not sure how to use workbench. He asks for help on a forum, but is not sure if he is using the correct command or if he even understands the ABC of APDL.
sgvaibhav
I have to model friction in ansys workbench for the geometry i attached - static structural analysis.

I basically have to define the contacts...
I don't know what contact settings to keep... so can someone suggest me what contact settings to keep?

Loads are applied at the two ends
The support is in the center...

So there is friction in the beams - downwards force of 500N is applied on both sides.

It will be great if someone can suggest me what contact settings to keep in ansys workbench

Attachments

• Geometry.png
    Geometry.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,192
Engineering news on Phys.org
i mean "contact" settings under "connections" sections in the model of static structural analysis. what effect does the pinball region have on the analysis?

It is all in the help manual. If you are using ANSYS traditional then the command is PINB. In Workbench, it is the same command.

From the ANSYS Help Manual:

"A contact element is considered to be in near-field contact when its integration points (Gauss points or nodal points) are within a code-calculated (or user-defined) distance to the corresponding target surface. This distance is referred to as the pinball region. The pinball region is a circle (in 2-D) or a sphere (in 3-D) centered about the Gauss point."

So, the greater the diameter of the sphere the greater the area of contact. Be careful to set this parameter correctly because unintended contact behavior can occur.

Thanks
Matt

I am not sure how to use Workbench all that well. I am a Traditional user. Your geometry is not all the complex, I think you would do better using Traditional with a 2D model and invoking the contacts via the EINTF command using offset nodes. Also, I am not sure of what you are solving for i.e. stress and/or deflection or something else.

Thanks
Matt

oh, i found the manual, but it was like 290 pages long..

I use workbench because i import the geometry from solidworks.

Basically i have not used friction before, all i that is going to happen in this analysis is that, there is friction between all these 'leaves'.
Applying the forces causes deflection of leaves, and since these leaves are joined/constrained by geometry... all these will slide together forming a rigid structure.

If the leaves deform as a rigid structure then just leave out the friction and model it a s a rigid structure.

The manual can easily be searched with the command name PINB. It took me about 3 seconds to find it.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
If the leaves deform as a rigid structure then just leave out the friction and model it a s a rigid structure.

The manual can easily be searched with the command name PINB. It took me about 3 seconds to find it.

Thanks
Matt

PINB is not my only concern :P

there are many other settings such as

advanced formulation, interface treatment to name a few...

i would have tried taking ur help, but i don't know the ABC of APDL...

do u know any ansys workbench forums?

btw thanks for your help :D

Last edited:

1. What is friction and why is it important to model in ANSYS?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important to model in ANSYS because it affects the accuracy and stability of simulations, as well as the performance and durability of mechanical systems.

2. How does ANSYS model friction?

ANSYS uses the Coulomb friction model, which is based on the assumption that frictional forces are proportional to the normal force acting between two surfaces. It also takes into account the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the frictional characteristics of a specific material.

3. What factors influence friction in ANSYS simulations?

The main factors that influence friction in ANSYS simulations include the coefficient of friction, surface roughness, contact pressure, and sliding velocity. The material properties and geometry of the surfaces in contact also play a role.

4. How can I adjust the friction settings in ANSYS?

In ANSYS, the friction settings can be adjusted through the contact properties. This includes specifying the friction coefficient, defining the contact type (sliding or sticking), and choosing the appropriate contact formulation (e.g. small sliding, finite sliding, etc.).

5. Are there any limitations to ANSYS' friction modeling capabilities?

While ANSYS' Coulomb friction model is widely used and accurate in many cases, it may not accurately capture the behavior of complex frictional systems. Additionally, friction modeling in ANSYS is limited to two-dimensional contact interactions and does not account for dynamic changes in friction during a simulation.