Three children slide down a hill.

In summary, three children with different masses (Aaron at 20kg, Beth at 25kg, and Charlie at 30kg) are sledding down a hill with a coefficient of friction of μ=.15. The question is who will reach the bottom first, with the answer being all of them reaching at the same time. This is because the net force on the body is constant regardless of the mass, and the acceleration can be found by using the formula f=μN. The θ of the hill is not needed to solve this problem.
pmd28
Three children, Aaron (20kg), Beth (25kg) and Charlie (30kg) take off on sleds at the top of a hill. Who will reach the bottom first? (μ=.15)
a)Aaron
b)Beth
c)Charlie
d)All of them reach at the same time

f=μN

The answer is d. my first guess was A because i thought that since Aaron had the lowest mass his weight force, and therefore his normal force, would be the smallest; giving him the least amount of resistive frictional force. Why is d correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the net force on the body.
Then you can find the acceleration for any mass.

but how would I do that if i don't know the [itex]\theta[/itex] of the hill? I drew out my free body diagram but i keep getting stuck when try to resolve the components of the forces.

pmd28 said:
but how would I do that if i don't know the [itex]\theta[/itex] of the hill? I drew out my free body diagram but i keep getting stuck when try to resolve the components of the forces.

Just put θ as constant for all the cases.

:approve:Got it thanks

What is the force acting on the children as they slide down the hill?

The force acting on the children is gravity. As the children slide down the hill, they are pulled towards the center of the earth by the force of gravity.

What is the role of friction in the children's slide down the hill?

Friction plays a crucial role in the children's slide down the hill. It is the force that acts in the opposite direction of their motion and helps to slow them down and eventually stop them at the bottom of the hill.

How does the steepness of the hill affect the children's slide?

The steepness of the hill affects the children's slide in several ways. A steeper hill will increase their speed and make their slide faster, while a less steep hill will result in a slower slide. Additionally, a steeper hill will require more force to overcome gravity and friction, making it more challenging for the children to climb back up.

What factors can influence the speed of the children's slide down the hill?

The speed of the children's slide down the hill can be influenced by several factors. These include the steepness of the hill, the weight of the children, the presence of obstacles or bumps on the hill, and the surface material of the hill (e.g. grass, dirt, snow).

Is there a way to calculate the speed of the children's slide down the hill?

Yes, the speed of the children's slide down the hill can be calculated using the principles of physics. The equation for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. By measuring the distance the children slide and the time it takes, the speed can be determined. Factors such as the steepness of the hill and the presence of friction will also need to be taken into account.