Three points at the vertices of equilateral triangle

In summary, the problem is solved by taking the magnitude of the displacement traveled by each particle and multiplying it by the relative velocity to get the total path length. The problem can be solved by standing still and imagining that somebody moves perpendicular to the line connecting the two particles. The person goes around in a circle, always at the same radius from you.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-7-12_23-44-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The direction of motion of all the three particles are changing w.r.t. lab frame.
But , their relative velocity remains constant.
relative velocity = vb - va

And the distance between the two particles decreases from a to 0.

So, t = a/|vb - va| I am not clear why I am taking this step. I just feel tempted to take it.
|vb - va| = (√3)v

t = a/(√3)v

W.r.t. A's frame of reference , B is always moving at an angle 60° to the line joining A and B. Then, how can the two ever meet?After seeing the answer (which is 2a/3v)in the book,

Due to the symmetry of the problem, the three will converge at the centre of the triangle.

The distance between the center and the vertices is a/√3.

This is the magnitude of the displacement traveled by each point.

So, taking t = (a/√3)/ [|vb - va| = (√3)v]
= a/3v

Even now, I am missing a factor of 2.

I know that the relative velocity is constant and the displacement of each particle but I can't connect the two information.

Physics news on Phys.org
For each unit you travel along your path, how far towards the center do you travel?
That ratio needs to be multiplied by your a/sqrt(3) to get the total path length.

Each point is spiraling in towards the center. And you need to know the length of that spiral path.
At every moment in time, the rate of descent towards the center is proportional to the rate along the spiral. That ratio can be determined by comparing its path to a path that simply orbits the center in a circular motion. The spiral and the circle will meet at a particular angle. What is that angle?
Since the rate of descent is always proportional to the distance traveled, the length of that spiral is proportional to the initial radius r=a/√3.

Pushoam said:
the relative velocity is constant
Right. Consider two particles. Think about components of their relative velocity. Which component is of interest?
.Scott said:
you need to know the length of that spiral path.
No, it's easier than that.

haruspex said:
Which component is of interest?

W.r.t. A's frame of reference ,

B is always moving at an angle 60° to the line joining A and B.
For meeting A, B travels along BA a distance 'a' with speed 3v/2.
Hence, t = 2a/3v

So, the problem is solved.
But, I did't understand how B can meet A as B is also moving perpendicular to BA with speed (√3)v/2. Please explain this.

Pushoam said:
I did't understand how B can meet A as B is also moving perpendicular to BA
in each short interval of time, dt, the movement that B makes perpendicular to AB does not alter the distance between them. A cancels the effect of that movement merely by changing direction slightly.

haruspex said:
in each short interval of time, dt, the movement that B makes perpendicular to AB does not alter the distance between them. A cancels the effect of that movement merely by changing direction slightly.
This I didn't understand.

W.r.t. A's frame,
B moves towards A along BA and away from A along perpendicular to AB. (Please, correct it if this sentence is not proper grammatically.)
Thus, the motion in perpendicular direction always remains away from A. So, how could B meet A?

Pushoam said:
away from A along perpendicular to AB
A very small movement perpendicular to AB is not away from A. It is neutral.
If you stand still at A and person B moves always perpendicular to AB then that person goes around in a circle, always at the same radius from you.

haruspex said:
If you stand still at A and person B moves always perpendicular to AB then that person goes around in a circle, always at the same radius from you.
O.K.
Now I understood that the perpendicular motion doesn't change the distance and the motion towards A along BA reduces the distance. This is how B meets A.

Thank you, haruspex. Thanks a lot.

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a type of triangle in which all three sides are equal in length and all three angles are equal to 60 degrees.

2. How do you find the area of an equilateral triangle?

To find the area of an equilateral triangle, you can use the formula A = (√3/4) x s^2, where s is the length of one side. Alternatively, you can divide the triangle into two right triangles and use the formula A = (1/2) x b x h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height.

3. What are the properties of an equilateral triangle?

Some properties of an equilateral triangle include: all three sides are equal in length, all three angles are equal to 60 degrees, the altitude, median, and angle bisectors are the same line, the incenter (center of the inscribed circle) is also the centroid (center of mass), and the circumcenter (center of the circumscribed circle) is located at the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors.

4. Can an equilateral triangle be a right triangle?

No, an equilateral triangle cannot be a right triangle because all three angles in an equilateral triangle are equal to 60 degrees, which does not match the definition of a right triangle (one angle of 90 degrees).

5. Are there any real world examples of equilateral triangles?

Yes, equilateral triangles can be found in many real world objects and structures such as the faces of a pyramid, the shape of a traffic sign, and the base of a tent. They are also seen in nature, such as the shape of honeycombs and some crystals.