TI 84 plus not showing graph correctly,help?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Swizaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with a calculator displaying a graph incorrectly. The function being graphed is h(t)= 20+(1/2pi)cos(2pit)+tsen(2pit), with t representing time and the variables xmin, xmax, ymin, and ymax specified. The person mentions the graph not matching the expected result and provides a link to a picture of the correct graph. They later realize the issue was caused by a typo, with the correct value being 0.16 instead of 1/2pi.
Swizaw
Hello,my Ti 84 plus calculator from texas is showing incorrectly the graph,i can't find out why it's showing incorrectly.

The function is h(t)= 20+(1/2pi)cos(2pit)+tsen(2pit)

t is a variable representing the time
xmin is 0
xmax is 1.
ymin is 19.
ymax is 21
You have to intersect it after with 19,5.This exercise was on my maths 2016 exam (1st phase) and it's not showing the same graph as the resolution.
I attached the picture of what it should look like the correct one
And the one that shows on my calculator
https://imgur.com/M7eyuuP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 19.41.03.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 19.41.03.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
Found what what's wrong,i had to manually do 1/2pi which was like 0.16 and instead of putting 1/2pi i had to put 0.16,probably because it's in radian it was messing up something,you can lock the thread!
Thanks

Swizaw said:
Hello,my Ti 84 plus calculator from texas is showing incorrectly the graph,i can't find out why it's showing incorrectly.

The function is h(t)= 20+(1/2pi)cos(2pit)+tsen(2pit)

t is a variable representing the time
xmin is 0
xmax is 1.
ymin is 19.
ymax is 21
You have to intersect it after with 19,5.This exercise was on my maths 2016 exam (1st phase) and it's not showing the same graph as the resolution.
I attached the picture of what it should look like the correct one
And the one that shows on my calculator
https://imgur.com/M7eyuuP
Is there a typo in your original equation? I used a graphing program (see below) and I'm agreeing with your calculator. (In order to see the sinusoidal behavior that my graph displays you need to zoom out.) The vertical lines are 0.1 apart.

-Dan

View attachment 5709

Addendum: You wrote "Xsin(...)" on your calculator. Mine would call that the function Xsin() as opposed to X * sin(). Is this an error or does yours understand the intention?

- - - Updated - - -

topsquark said:
Is there a typo in your original equation? I used a graphing program (see below) and I'm agreeing with your calculator. (In order to see the sinusoidal behavior that my graph displays you need to zoom out.) The vertical lines are 0.1 apart.

-Dan
Addendum: You wrote "Xsin(...)" on your calculator. Mine would call that the function Xsin() as opposed to X * sin(). Is this an error or does yours understand the intention?

PS I just read your response above and I still don't agree with the supposed correct answer. The first "hump" in the graph doesn't exist and the correct graph has a zero around x = 0.31.

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 60
Typing $20+1/(2\pi)\cos(2\pi X)+X\sin(2\pi X)$ gives the desired graph (on my TI-84 Plus).

Last edited:
greg1313 said:
Typing $20+1/(2\pi)\cos(2\pi X)+X\sin(2\pi X)$ gives the desired graph (on my TI-84 Plus).
Oh! 0.16. I see it now.

-Dan

What could be the possible reasons for my TI 84 plus not showing the graph correctly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Some common reasons include incorrect input of equations or data, low battery power, outdated software, or a malfunctioning calculator.

How can I fix the problem of my TI 84 plus not displaying the graph correctly?

The first step would be to check the input of equations or data for any errors. If that does not solve the issue, try resetting the calculator or updating the software. If the problem persists, the calculator may need to be repaired or replaced.

Why is my TI 84 plus only showing a blank screen when I try to graph?

This could be due to several reasons, such as low battery power, incorrect settings, or a malfunctioning calculator. Try replacing the batteries, adjusting the settings, or resetting the calculator to see if it resolves the issue.

Is there a way to troubleshoot my TI 84 plus if it is not displaying graphs correctly?

Yes, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try, such as checking the input of equations or data, adjusting the settings, resetting the calculator, or updating the software. If none of these solutions work, the calculator may need to be repaired or replaced.

Can I still use my TI 84 plus if it is not displaying graphs correctly?

It may still be possible to use the calculator for basic functions, but it is recommended to address the issue as soon as possible to avoid any further malfunctions. If the calculator is under warranty, you may be able to get it repaired or replaced by the manufacturer.