Time: A Scientific Exploration

In summary, time is a concept used to measure changes in matter and the rate at which things happen. It is often perceived differently by different observers and can be influenced by factors such as gravity. The idea of "before time" is nonsensical as time is what defines before and after.
N468989 said:
To exist space there must exist time. Time is a consequence of space and vice-versa and they must coexist. For something to change in space there must be a time sequence associated, so we can assume that time is another dimension, sure.

But, the fundamental point was that there is no change. The full 4-dimensional spatial universe is just all there at once. The 4-dimensional objects in the 4-D universe do not move--there is no change.

N468989 said:
Theoretical physicists suggest that there are parallel universes, I believe that there are other dimensions that we couldn't even begin to imagine. If we lived in a 2D world time would exist also but could we grasp the concept of 3D?

Parallel universes, perhaps. But that only compounds the problem, it doesn't take away in any sense the 4-D spatial universe that we inhabit.

Physics news on Phys.org
N468989 said:
For something to change in space there must be a time sequence associated
You can have dx/dy without any t.

DaleSpam said:
You can have dx/dy without any t.

In math/calculus you may have anything you wish. Does that prove anything?

elosin said:
What is time??

It's a measure of duration of physical processes, as well as keeping track of their progress (primarily by counting clock cycles).

Probably the best way to understand this human concept is to consider how it emerged. Evidently people started to count days (based on the Sun), months (based on the moon) and years (based on the Sun and the seasons). In other words, our concept of "time" is based on man's observation of natural clocks, and the application for making plans.

However, with the evolution of physics our understanding of how "time" works also evolved. You may appreciate an old discussion of the consequences of SR on our concepts of "time" and "space", here:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Evolution_of_Space_and_Time

PS better: it's a measure of the progress of physical processes (primarily by counting clock cycles) as well as comparing the number of counts -see next

Last edited:
harrylin said:
It's a measure of duration of physical processes, as well as keeping track of their progress (primarily by counting clock cycles).

Well, ok, but what is duration? Saying that time is measure of time is not very helpful.

Calimero said:
Well, ok, but what is duration? Saying that time is measure of time is not very helpful.

Sorry for the glitch! I should have written comparison of the progress of physical processes, as may have been clear from the explanation that followed. Another way to look at it is to count how many cycles of a reference process something takes - for example how many days walking it is from A to B.

N468989 said:
In math/calculus you may have anything you wish.
This is not true.

N468989 said:
Does that prove anything?
Yes, it proves that you can have change in space without time. Your statement that change in space required time is incorrect.

DaleSpam said:
[..]Yes, it proves that you can have change in space without time. Your statement that change in space required time is incorrect.

Apparently you actually mean "difference", as expressed by dx/dy. However, that's not the proper (or at least, not the main) meaning of the word "change". The statement that change in space requires time is correct for the most common meanings of the words "change" and "time". - dictionary.com
There can be no "making" or "becoming" without "time" - those are related concepts.

PS: Of course we are very much used to say "a change of x as function of y". But that's mere figuratively speaking (only strictly correct if y stands for "time"), although it's easy to forget! :wink:

Last edited:
N468989 said:
In math/calculus you may have anything you wish. Does that prove anything?

Nice retort, and well placed. :smile:

And untrue. You cannot just have anything you want in calculus.

DaleSpam said:
And untrue. You cannot just have anything you want in calculus.

Well you can actually, assuming you prove it of course.

harrylin said:
Of course we are very much used to say "a change of x as function of y". But that's mere figuratively speaking
I disagree, this is not just figurative. The derivative is the mathematical object that formalizes the concept of change, and change can be wrt any variable, not just variables representing time.

N468989 said:
Well you can actually, assuming you prove it of course.
Wishing it does not make it provable and not wishing it does not stop it from being provable. The wishing is irrelevant, therefore it is simply false to say that you can have anything you wish in calculus.

DaleSpam said:
I disagree, this is not just figurative. The derivative is the mathematical object that formalizes the concept of change, and change can be wrt any variable, not just variables representing time.

This is obviously true.

Phrak said:
You didn't get my point. Time, as you use the word, is not a rate, nor is there something like a "biological time constant" that measures elasped time.

Anyway, sure: elapsed time differs for different observers.

time doesn't move at any rate, it is a dimension which all things travel through.

The rate at which you travel through time is relative to your motion through the three spatial dimensions, in that (t being time, r being space) dt + dr = c.

N468989 said:
To exist space there must exist time. Time is a consequence of space and vice-versa and they must coexist. For something to change in space there must be a time sequence associated, so we can assume that time is another dimension, sure.

Theoretical physicists suggest that there are parallel universes, I believe that there are other dimensions that we couldn't even begin to imagine. If we lived in a 2D world time would exist also but could we grasp the concept of 3D?

If we lived in a 2d world, we would define our world as a 3D space time. And we would envision, and perform calculations on, n-dimensional areas, just as we do today.

elosin said:
What is time??
It's what is getting wasted on this thread.

DaleSpam said:
Wishing it does not make it provable and not wishing it does not stop it from being provable. The wishing is irrelevant, therefore it is simply false to say that you can have anything you wish in calculus.
You are correct. I misused the term "wish", but was not meant in a supernatural way. Anyway math is only a tool for making the physical world more understandable, sometimes we must come up with something new. What is valid today might not be tomorrow.

N468989 said:
You are correct. I misused the term "wish", but was not meant in a supernatural way. Anyway math is only a tool for making the physical world more understandable, sometimes we must come up with something new. What is valid today might not be tomorrow.

I disagree. Math is a tool to describe the universe. We might be able to come up with better approximations for particular systems, but valid math will not become obsolete over night.

ghwellsjr said:
It's what is getting wasted on this thread.

Best.comment.ever.

khemist said:
I disagree. Math is a tool to describe the universe. We might be able to come up with better approximations for particular systems, but valid math will not become obsolete over night.

When we can't do something in math we just assume something, let's take division by zero, square root of minus 1. Assuming something always has an associated risk of being wrong. That is what I meant. Clearly 1+1=2 in any place or time.

If someone is actually interested in seriously thinking about time, the link I provide in post #3 provides numerous essays on time, arguing virtually every conceivable point of view, at a level of sophistication exceeding anything posted on physicsforums. Several of them do not require advanced training to get the gist of the arguments. I seriously meant that it was pointless to navel gaze on time when many really great physicists and philosophers have had an awful lot to say about it already.

A eight-year old child asked: when a sand-clock is turned around does the time run our the sand?

I don't think time exists, neither does space, but spacetime does.

What is spacetime? A human concept.

A spacetime exists in human awareness. What reality is really made of we don't know. My view is that everything existing is of same essence, based on two fundamental elements, somethings and nothingness, and countless configurations of these two make countless appearances of unique forms (like patterns of 1 and 0 in computers can produce infinite amount of information).

Perception of time is merely a by-product of how our awareness functions, which is quite limited. If our awareness could have much higher, say wider, ability of perception, e.g. if what we percieve as moment of now would expand so we would percieve now for whole minute as intensively as we percieve now for a second, would the time itself change? Sure not, only our perception would... Imagine our perception to experience now lasting an hour, can you? A year? Timeless?

An anology: I see human perception as a simple scanner which scans a photo dot by dot, line by line, and slowly it captures whole photo. Photo in this case represents existence... Got a visual?

Last edited:
TrickyDicky said:
This is obviously true.

It is obviously wrong if you just check the dictionary - which I even linked and cited. :-p

PAllen said:
Best.comment.ever.

Yes indeed - after a first exchange of thoughts, there's only a waste of something that we can't agree on. :biggrin:

So... I'm out of this thread - good luck!

harrylin said:
It is obviously wrong if you just check the dictionary - which I even linked and cited. :-p

Yeah, too bad the english dictionary is basically useless as a reliable guide on math and physics, but as long as you believe it...enjoy!

Boy@n said:
I don't think time exists, neither does space, but spacetime does.

What is spacetime? A human concept.

A spacetime exists in human awareness. What reality is really made of we don't know. My view is that everything existing is of same essence, based on two fundamental elements, somethings and nothingness, and countless configurations of these two make countless appearances of unique forms (like patterns of 1 and 0 in computers can produce infinite amount of information).

Perception of time is merely a by-product of how our awareness functions, which is quite limited. If our awareness could have much higher, say wider, ability of perception, e.g. if what we percieve as moment of now would expand so we would percieve now for whole minute as intensively as we percieve now for a second, would the time itself change? Sure not, only our perception would... Imagine our perception to experience now lasting an hour, can you? A year? Timeless?

An anology: I see human perception as a simple scanner which scans a photo dot by dot, line by line, and slowly it captures whole photo. Photo in this case represents existence... Got a visual?

Have you gone to school for physics at all? That sounds like pseudo religion

Immortal, might be, no idea how pseudo religion looks like.

Human awareness and perception are not as special as we humans like to think, both are very narrow...

Ponder on about your own awareness for a bit and what is experience of now... I wonder where it takes you...?

Boy@n said:
Immortal, might be, no idea how pseudo religion looks like.

Human awareness and perception are not as special as we humans like to think, both are very narrow...

Ponder on about your own awareness for a bit and what is experience of now... I wonder where it takes you...?

Thats more philosophy, not physics.

N468989 said:
You are correct. I misused the term "wish", but was not meant in a supernatural way.
It was meant to justify ignoring the math. The math was simply my wish, of no more consequence than a personal opinion.

The fact remains that there is no logical need to have a time sequence in order to have something change in space. Do you understand that now?

N468989 said:
What is valid today might not be tomorrow.
Nonsense.

DaleSpam said:
No you didn't.

More relevant is a reference on derivatives, which clearly explains that in math the derivative captures the idea of change:
http://www.whitman.edu/mathematics/...aneous_Rate_of_Change-_The_Derivative_2up.pdf

There is nothing about change that requires all change to be wrt time.

Mathematicaly, y and x can be anything. In the real world, change is calculated with respect to time.

Unless you are calculating something like the slope of an object, which can change with respect to another object or to the surrounding space...but this is not "change" in your daily use of the word.

Within the local area nothing actually occurs, even though you can use derivative to calculate "change"

My point is that, physically, yes, it should be true that time is a necessity for change. That extra degree of freedom must be there for, within an n dimensional bound, change to occur from the perspective n-1 dimensions.

To be more clear, if a square exists in R3, it is unchanging. If something happens, the square turns to a rectangle or grows larger, a time coordinate(or whatever you choose to name the extra degree of freedom) becomes necessary to define the cube's entirety..at t=0, before the change, and t=1, after. Or however you choose to label your timeline...

Time is the comparison between changes; one of these changes takes the form of a clock (whose physical changes we suppose change regularly), the other changes are compared to that clock, and these other changes may be either more clocks or changes in some other quantities.

It is not necessary to imagine time as another dimension; ultimately, all clocks' changes are three dimensional physical changes, most often just simple changes in length, or other common quantities that break down ultimately to lengths.

So, time is (change in physical quantity of interest)/(change in physical clock quantity), which if you take all the way down to simplest units becomes some form of (distance/distance).

Time is not the fourth dimension, it is the three dimensional world self referencing comparisons of itself.