Time Dependence of Wave Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the w (omega) value for three states and solving equations involving complex exponentials in quantum mechanics. It is suggested to use Euler's identity to simplify the equations and choose the smallest value of t. Part (a) is considered easy and it is recommended to plot the real part or work with complex exponentials. Part (c) is also similar in approach.
sarahjohn
Homework Statement
An electron is trapped in a well (neither square nor harmonic). It is in a superposition of three energy states, ψa, ψb, and ψc, with energies:
Ea = 2.2 eV,
Eb = 2.6 eV.
Ec = 3.2 eV.

1) At t = 0, all phases (the e iωt factors) are equal. After how much time (in seconds) will the phases of ψa, and ψb become equal again? Choose the smallest positive time.
Δtab =

2) After how much time (in seconds) will the phases of ψa, and ψc become equal again? Choose the smallest positive time.
Δtac =

3) After how much time (in seconds) will all three phases again be equal? Choose the smallest positive time.
Δtabc =
Relevant Equations
E = h*w/(2*pi)
I started out by finding the w (omega) value for all of the three states but I'm not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not so good in quantum mechanics but I think all you got to do is to solve equations like $$e^{i\omega_a t}=e^{i\omega_b t}$$ for t and since these are actually trigonometric equations (i believe you know euler's identity $$e^{i\omega t}=\cos \omega t+i\sin \omega t$$) there going to be many values of t, you just have to choose the smallest t.

Part (a) should be pretty easy. If you haven't seen it before, it is worth spending some effort to solidly understand. Plot out the real (sin) part. Or play with complex exponentials $$e^{i\omega_a t}=e^{i\omega_b t}$$ $$e^{i(\omega_a -\omega_b) t}=1$$so $$|(\omega_a-\omega_b)| t=2\pi $$ for the shortest time
Part (c) is similar.

1. What is the "Time Dependence of Wave Function"?

The time dependence of wave function refers to the behavior of a quantum mechanical wave function over time. It describes how the probability of finding a particle in a certain location changes over time.

2. How does the wave function change over time?

The wave function changes over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system. The wave function can either remain constant or change in a predictable manner, depending on the system.

3. What is the significance of the time dependence of wave function?

The time dependence of wave function is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows us to make predictions about the probability of a particle's position at any given time, and to understand how the system evolves over time.

4. Can the time dependence of wave function be observed?

No, the time dependence of wave function cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements, such as the double-slit experiment.

5. How does the time dependence of wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The time dependence of wave function is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The time dependence of wave function allows us to make predictions about the probability of a particle's position, but it cannot determine its exact position at a given time.