Time dependent perturbation theory, HO subject to electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged particle under the influence of a uniform electric field and a harmonic potential. The goal is to compute the transition probability to the first excited state, both exactly and using time dependent perturbation theory. The steps for solving the problem using time dependent perturbation theory are discussed, as well as an attempt to solve the Schrödinger equation exactly. The conversation ends with the realization that the procedure used for solving the Schrödinger equation may be incorrect and that further help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Telemachus
Hi there. I'm dealing with this problem, which says:

At time ##t=0## a constant and uniform electric field ##\vec E## oriented in the ##\vec x## direction is applied over a charged particle with charge ##+q##. This same particle is under the influence of an harmonic potential ##V(x)=\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 X^2##, which at time ##t=0## is in it's fundamental state. Compute the transition probability to the first excited state. Solve the problem exactly. Verify that the result obtained is the same for first order (time dependent) perturbation theory. Study what would happen for a transition to the second excited state.

Well, I computed the transition probability using time dependent perturbation theory at first, cause I thought it would be easier than solving exactly.

I have:

##H=H_0+\lambda \hat W\\
E_n^0=\hbar\omega\left (n + \frac{1}{2}\right ) \\
H_0=\frac{P^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2X^2\\

\ W(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
qEX & \mbox{if $t \geq 0$};\\
0 & \mbox{if $t < 0$}.\end{array} \right. \ \\

P_{if}=\frac{1}{\hbar^2} \left | \int_0^t e^{i\omega_{fi}t'}W_{fi}dt' \right |^2 \\ ##

Then using some harmonic oscillator algebra I have:

##W_{10}=qE\sqrt {\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\\

\omega_{10}=\omega##

And the probability of transition using time dependent perturbation theory gave me:

##P_{01}=\frac{q^2E^2}{\hbar m \omega^3}\left (1-\cos(\omega t) \right )##

Then I've tried to solve the Schrödinger equation exactly, which is easy to solve by completing the square.
That gives the eigenfunctions:

##\phi_n'(x)=\phi_n(x+\frac{qE}{m\omega^2})##

The effect of the electric field is just a shift in x.

So then I thought that the desired transition probability would be:
##P_{01=}|\left <\phi_0 | \phi_1' \right >|^2##

I'm not sure if this is right, so then I expressed ##\left <\phi_0 | \phi_1' \right >## in the x representation which gives me a cumbersome integral:

##\left <\phi_0 | \phi_1' \right >=\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx \left <\phi_0 | x \right > \left < x | \phi_1' \right >=\displaystyle \left [\frac{4}{\pi^2}\right ] \frac{m\omega}{\hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left [ (u-\frac{qE}{m\omega^2})^2+\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}u^2 \right ] }du##

I've used the change of variables ##u=x+\frac{qE}{m\omega^2}##, at t=0 I have ##\left < x | \psi (t=0) \right >=\phi_0(x)##, and for t>0 my eigeinstates are the ##\left <x | \phi_n' \right > =\phi_n(x+\frac{qE}{m\omega^2})=\phi_n(u)##

Now, I think this procedure is wrong. I believe the way I've solved the schrödinger equation is wrong, because I'm solving the perturbed hamiltonian, but I'm not considering what happens before t=0. Besides, the integral doesn't look like the cosine I've obtained before.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I've realized what I have to do. I think I should use the set of differential equations obtained from the Schrödinger equation in the series expansion. Anyway, I'll appreciate any help or suggestion.

Last edited:

Related to Time dependent perturbation theory, HO subject to electric field

1. What is time dependent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical framework used to analyze how quantum systems change over time when subjected to an external force or perturbation. It allows us to calculate the probability of a system transitioning from one quantum state to another over a period of time.

2. How is time dependent perturbation theory applied to the harmonic oscillator?

In the context of the harmonic oscillator, time dependent perturbation theory is used to study how a harmonic oscillator responds to an external electric field. By treating the electric field as a perturbation, we can calculate the effects of the field on the oscillator's energy levels and wave function.

3. What are the assumptions made in time dependent perturbation theory?

One of the main assumptions of time dependent perturbation theory is that the external perturbation is small in comparison to the natural frequency of the system. Additionally, it assumes that the perturbation is turned on and off slowly, and that the system is initially in a stationary state.

4. How does the electric field affect the harmonic oscillator's energy levels?

The electric field causes the energy levels of the harmonic oscillator to split and shift. The energy levels will be shifted in the direction of the field, and the splitting between the levels will increase as the strength of the field increases.

5. Can time dependent perturbation theory be applied to other systems besides the harmonic oscillator?

Yes, time dependent perturbation theory can be applied to any quantum system that is subject to an external perturbation. It has been used to study a wide range of systems, including atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials.