Time dependent position given position dependent force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle of mass m subject to a force F(x) = −kx^−2 (1) that attracts it toward the origin. The potential energy function U(x) is determined and it is shown that the time t required for the particle to reach the origin is t = π sqrt(m/8k)(x_0)^(3/2). Different approaches to solving the problem are discussed, including factoring out the dependence on x_0 and using dimensional analysis to determine the correct time dependence on x_0, k, and m.
scoopaloop

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a force F(x) = −kx^−2 (1) that attracts it toward the origin. (a) Determine the potential energy function U(x), defined by F(x) = − d U(x)/dx. (b) Assuming that the particle is released from rest at a position x0, show that the time t required for the particle to reach the origin is t = π sqrt(m/8k)(x_0)^(3/2)

Homework Equations

dt=dx/sqrt(2(E-U)/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I found The potential energy to be k/x using that and the fact that at v=0 at x_0, I get dt=dx/sqrt(2((k/x_0)-k/x)/m). My only problem is integrating this I get a long nasty function that I feel I can't get x isolated. Maybe, I'm being lazy and need to gut through it, but is there an easier way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
scoopaloop said:
My only problem is integrating this I get a long nasty function that I feel I can't get x isolated.
If we are to have any chance of helping you, you need to actually show us what you did.

I just want to know if this is the correct approach or if there is another way. I'm not asking you to do it for me. I'd imagine you either know how to do this problem or you don't, I don't see how writing some long pain in the butt equation will help you know how to do the problem.

Last edited:
The approach is fine, but you seem to be doing it wrong. You can easily factor out the dependence on ##x_0## by a change of variables and obtain a dimensionless integral.

You can also argue for the correct dependence of the time on ##x_0##, ##k##, and ##m## purely on dimensional grounds. There is only one combination of these parameters which results in a time. Of course, you still need to perform the integral to get the correct prefactor.

What does "time dependent position given position dependent force" mean?

"Time dependent position given position dependent force" refers to a situation in which the position of an object changes over time due to the influence of a force that is dependent on the object's position.

How is time related to position in this scenario?

In this scenario, time is a factor in determining the position of the object. As time passes, the object's position will change due to the influence of the position dependent force.

What is an example of a position dependent force?

An example of a position dependent force is the force of gravity. As an object moves closer or further away from the center of gravity, the force of gravity will change, resulting in a change in the object's position over time.

How does the time dependence of position affect the behavior of the object?

The time dependence of position can affect the motion of the object. If the position dependent force is constant, the object's position will change at a constant rate. However, if the force changes over time, the object's position may change at a varying rate.

What factors can influence the time dependence of position given position dependent force?

The time dependence of position can be influenced by various factors such as the strength and direction of the position dependent force, the initial position and velocity of the object, and any other external forces acting on the object.