Time derivative of gravity due to acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for gravity and calculating velocity and position dependent on time. The attempt at a solution involves integrating the equation for velocity and attempting to solve for position using the given initial conditions. However, the final equation for position is time dependent and the person is unsure where they went wrong. They request for more steps to be added using LaTeX.
Ofinns

Homework Statement

We have the equation for gravity due to the acceleration a = -GM/r2, calculate velocity and position dependent on time and show that v/x = √2GM/r03⋅(r/r0-1)

Homework Equations

x(t = 0) = x0 and v(t = 0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

v = -GM∫1/r2 dt
v = dr/dt
v2 = -GM∫1/r2 dt⋅dr/dt = √Gm/r

for x... dt/dt = √GM/r2
r depends on t so r(t)?
break out and integrate on both sides
x = 3/22/3⋅(√GMt+c)2/3 which obviously is not so good as it is time dependent.

Where do I go wrong? How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ofinns said:

Homework Statement

We have the equation for gravity due to the acceleration a = -GM/r2, calculate velocity and position dependent on time and show that v/x = √2GM/r03⋅(r/r0-1)

Homework Equations

x(t = 0) = x0 and v(t = 0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

v = -GM∫1/r2 dt
v = dr/dt
v2 = -GM∫1/r2 dt⋅dr/dt = √Gm/r

for x... dt/dt = √GM/r2
r depends on t so r(t)?
break out and integrate on both sides
x = 3/22/3⋅(√GMt+c)2/3 which obviously is not so good as it is time dependent.

Where do I go wrong? How should I proceed?
It's hard to tell where you have gone wrong when I can't tell what you have done. I'm not sure what x... dt/dt = √GM/r2 means. Could add in a few more steps to show what you mean? Please use LaTeX. It is easy to use and makes it easy to express what you mean.

1. What is the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration?

The time derivative of gravity due to acceleration is the rate of change of the gravitational force acting on an object, caused by its acceleration. It is a measure of how quickly the strength and direction of the gravitational force is changing over time.

2. How is the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration calculated?

The time derivative of gravity due to acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the gravitational force equation with respect to time. This can be written as dF/dt, where F is the gravitational force and t is time.

3. What are the units of the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration?

The units of the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration are typically expressed as meters per second squared per second (m/s²/s) or simply meters per second cubed (m/s³). These units represent the rate of change of the gravitational force over time.

4. How does the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration affect the motion of objects?

The time derivative of gravity due to acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. It affects the acceleration of objects, causing them to speed up or slow down depending on the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force.

5. How does the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, the concept of time dilation states that the passage of time is affected by the strength of gravity. This means that the time derivative of gravity due to acceleration can impact the rate at which time flows, especially in extreme gravitational fields like those around black holes.