Time Derivative of Trigonometric Functions in Polar Coordinates

• Thread starter Cosmophile
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to find velocity in polar coordinates. They first need to keep two cartesian components and express the resulting vector in polar coordinates. Then, they need to remember that sin(theta) is not dependent on time when \theta is present. They also note that the time derivative of sin(theta) is zero when \theta is not dependent on time.
Cosmophile
I'm attempting to find velocity in polar coordinates (Kleppner/Kolenkow text). What I've got is:

[tex] \vec{v} = \frac {d}{dt} (x \hat{i} + y \hat{j}) [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {d}{dt} (rcos \theta) + \frac {d}{dt} (rsin \theta) [/tex]
[tex] = r \frac {d}{dt} (cos \theta) + cos \theta \frac {d}{dt} (r) + r \frac {d}{dt} (sin \theta) + sin \theta \frac {d}{dt} (r)[/tex]

From here on, I get stuck. How do I take the time derivative of [tex]sin \theta[/tex] or other trig functions whose subject is not time? So far, I've got this:

[tex] -r \dot {\theta} sin \theta + \dot{r}cos \theta + r \dot{\theta} cos \theta + \dot{r} sin \theta [/tex]

That being said, I also have a thought that the time-derivative of, say, [tex]sin \theta[/tex] would be zero, because sin(theta) is not dependent upon time. Though, I may be wrong. (Which is entirely why I'm asking here!)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
(Also, there is the obvious grouping to be done on the 5th line of LaTeX)

Cosmophile said:
I'm attempting to find velocity in polar coordinates (Kleppner/Kolenkow text). What I've got is:

[tex] \vec{v} = \frac {d}{dt} (x \hat{i} + y \hat{j}) [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {d}{dt} (rcos \theta) + \frac {d}{dt} (rsin \theta) [/tex]
What happened to [itex] i [/itex] and [itex] j [/itex] ? You need to keep two cartesian components in this calculation. Then express the resulting cartesian vector in polar coordinates.

That being said, I also have a thought that the time-derivative of, say, [tex]sin \theta[/tex] would be zero, because sin(theta) is not dependent upon time.
It does depend on time when [itex]\theta [/itex] does.

Stephen Tashi said:
What happened to [itex] i [/itex] and [itex] j [/itex] ? You need to keep two cartesian components in this calculation. Then express the resulting cartesian vector in polar coordinates.

It does depend on time when [itex]\theta [/itex] does.

Alright! I'll work with it and post when I think I've got something. Thanks!

I very much liked the presentation here. It took me an awful long time to reproduce the expressions for the straight line motion example (page 4,5)

Alright! I've got it. All I needed was to remember to include my unit vectors (beginner's mistake, I hope), and an identity derived from the geometry of polar coordinates:

[tex] \vec {r} = (x \hat{i} )[/tex]

Nope, ##\vec r = x\hat\imath+y\hat\jmath## !

To work out your ##\vec v## in the way you started, you need to convert ##\hat\imath## and ##\hat \jmath## to polar coordinates too. Do you have those expressions ?

(Hint: Think of a simple rotation to go from ##\hat\imath,\;\hat \jmath## to ##\hat r,\;\hat \theta## and the inverse rotation (= over minus same angle) to go the other way).

Very instructive to see how only two terms emerge from a rather long expression !

That post was actually accidentally posted prematurely; I'm working on the full one right now, haha.

Cosmophile said:
That post was actually accidentally posted prematurely; I'm working on the full one right now, haha.
Happens to me all the time: pressing that button too early. They do have an edit button on the left, but sometimes doing that only increases confusion and creates misunderstandings

Alright! I think I've got it. All I needed was to remember to include my unit vectors (beginner's mistake, I hope), and some identities derived from the geometry of polar coordinates:

[tex] \vec {r} = (x \hat\imath + y \hat\jmath ) [/tex]
[tex] \frac {d \vec {r}}{dt} = \frac {d}{dt} (x \hat\imath + y \hat\jmath) [/tex]
[tex] x = r cos \theta \hat\imath [/tex] and [tex] y = r sin \theta \hat\jmath [/tex]
Thus, [tex] \frac {d}{dt} [x \hat\imath + y \hat{j}] = \frac {d}{dt}(rcos \theta \hat{i} + r sin \theta \hat\jmath) [/tex]
[tex] = r \frac {d}{dt} [cos \theta \hat\imath] + cos \theta \hat{i} \frac {d}{dt}(r) + r \frac {d}{dt} (sin \theta \hat\jmath) + sin \theta \hat{j} \frac {d}{dt}(r) [/tex]
[tex] = r \frac {d}{dt} [cos \theta \hat\imath + sin \theta \hat\jmath] + (cos \theta \hat {i} + sin \theta \hat {j})\frac {d}{dt}[r] [/tex]
[tex] = r( \frac {d}{dt}[cos \theta \hat\imath] + \frac {d}{dt}[sin \theta \hat\jmath]) + \frac {dr}{dt}(cos \theta \hat{i} + sin \theta \hat{j}) [/tex]
[tex] = r( \dot{ \theta} cos \theta \hat\jmath - \dot{ \theta} sin \theta \hat\imath) + \dot {r}(cos \theta \hat{i}+sin \theta \hat{j}) [/tex]
[tex] = r \dot{ \theta} (cos \theta \hat\jmath - sin \theta \hat\imath) + \dot {r}(cos \theta \hat{i}+sin \theta \hat\jmath) [/tex]
From the geometry of polar coordinates:
[tex] (cos \theta \hat\imath - sin \theta \hat\imath) = \hat{ \theta} [/tex]
[tex] (cos \theta \hat\imath+sin \theta \hat\jmath) = \hat{r} [/tex]
So,
[tex] \frac {d \vec{r}}{dt} = \dot{r} \hat{r} + r \dot { \theta} \hat { \theta} = \vec {v} [/tex]

Last edited:
Well done.

For the record: 1 typo ##(cos \theta \hat\imath - sin \theta \hat\imath) = \hat{ \theta}## should be ##(cos \theta \;\hat\jmath - sin \theta\; \hat\imath) = \hat{ \theta}## but you processed it correctly.

That probably occurred when I went back to change the tex for all of my unit vectors. I saw how you had done it in a way to get rid of the dots for the i's and j's, and probably typed it in wrong. Anyway, thank you for the help! This text is pretty rigorous, especially for someone who has taught himself the Calculus that I know, but I'm really enjoying it!

1. What is the basic time-derivative problem?

The basic time-derivative problem is a mathematical concept used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It involves calculating the rate of change of a variable with respect to time, also known as the derivative. This is an important tool for understanding how quantities change over time and is crucial in making predictions and analyzing data.

2. How is the basic time-derivative problem used in science?

The basic time-derivative problem is used in science to study how different variables change over time. It is particularly useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems that involve rates of change, such as the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the movement of objects. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific theories and models.

3. What are some common applications of the basic time-derivative problem?

The basic time-derivative problem has a wide range of applications in various fields of science. In physics, it is used to study the motion of objects and the changes in energy over time. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze systems that involve rates of change, such as circuits and chemical reactions. In economics, it is used to understand how economic variables, such as prices and demand, change over time.

4. How do you solve the basic time-derivative problem?

To solve the basic time-derivative problem, you need to use the appropriate mathematical formula for the specific situation. In most cases, this involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to time. This can be done using techniques such as the chain rule, product rule, or quotient rule. It is also important to understand the physical meaning of the derivative and interpret the results in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the basic time-derivative problem?

One common misconception about the basic time-derivative problem is that it only applies to linear functions or straight lines. In reality, it can be applied to any type of mathematical function, including exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Another misconception is that the derivative represents the instantaneous change at a single point in time, when in fact it represents the average rate of change over a small interval of time.