Time Dilation & Stem Cell Therapy: Twin A vs Twin B

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for stem cells to cure aging and the effects of high-speed travel on the body's health. It is noted that motion is relative and there is no such thing as absolute motion. The possibility of using acceleration to counteract the negative effects of weightlessness is also mentioned. The idea of using telomerase for immortality is also touched upon.
myuncle
I believe in the future stem cells will cure everything and stop the aging process, and I also think that any mammal traveling at high speed would be affected by failing organs and a weaker immune system (just my opinion).
So, two people of the same age are on Earth. They are identical twins, twin A and twin B, they are 20 years old. Twin A boards a spaceship and begins to travel near the speed of light, Twin B remains on earth. 40 years later Twin B, still on Earth is now 60 years old but thanks to stem cells he looks and functions still like a 20 years old. Twin A has just returned to Earth and (unless he died in the first few hours) he looks much older than Twin A because he didn't take any stem cells.
Any thought on this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
myuncle said:
I believe in the future stem cells will cure everything and stop the aging process, and I also think that any mammal traveling at high speed would be affected by failing organs and a weaker immune system (just my opinion).
Motion is relative, so you can't get physical effects based on constant-velocity motion. If you want to get started on understanding relativity, a good book is Relativity Simply Explained, by Gardner.

myuncle said:

There is no such thing as traveling at high speed "per se". The twin "travelling" away from Earth is equally entitled to consider himself to be stationary and the Earth is "travelling" away from him. To assume that traveling at high speed by itself causes ageing is to assume that there is such a thing as absolute motion which is an anathema to the Special Relativity. I suspect you are thinking of the negative health aspects experienced by cosmonauts that remained in space for long periods in weightless conditions. This aspect can be overcome by having the twin traveling away from Earth continuously accelerate with a proper acceleration of 1 G (or have a rotating rocket) so that they experience artificial gravity similar to remaining on Earth.

P.S. The secret of immortality is telomerase (in mice anyway). See http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=dyDAUl_sjOpYdkMF2bgmOTRVTpGlM

Last edited:

1. What is time dilation and how does it relate to stem cell therapy?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields or in relative motion. It is a key concept in Einstein's Theory of Relativity. In the context of stem cell therapy, time dilation is used to describe the difference in aging between twins who have undergone different types of stem cell treatments.

2. How does stem cell therapy impact the aging process in twins?

Stem cell therapy has been shown to have a rejuvenating effect on cells and tissues, potentially slowing down the aging process. In the case of "Twin A vs Twin B", where one twin receives stem cell therapy and the other does not, there may be a noticeable difference in their aging patterns due to the rejuvenating effects of the therapy.

3. Can stem cell therapy reverse the effects of time dilation in twins?

While stem cell therapy may slow down the aging process, it cannot reverse the effects of time dilation. Time dilation is a fundamental aspect of physics and cannot be altered by medical treatments.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of stem cell therapy?

Like any medical treatment, there are potential risks and side effects associated with stem cell therapy. These may include infection, rejection of the transplanted cells, and unintended effects on other parts of the body. It is important for individuals considering stem cell therapy to discuss potential risks with their doctor.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea that stem cell therapy can slow down aging?

While there is ongoing research and some promising results, there is currently no conclusive evidence that stem cell therapy can slow down the aging process. More studies and clinical trials are needed to fully understand the potential effects of stem cell therapy on aging.