Time of completion (Times Tables)

• Thread starter physics girl phd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: "sponge" learning style (soaks it all up and retains it) that will allow for more complex thinking skills to develop.
moose said:
Have you taught him methods like when multiplying by 5 you can just half and multiply by 10, etc?
I still remember in junior school (age 7-8?) standing up and explaining to the teacher that we didn't need to learn all these times-tables because as long as you knew what 2x, 5x and 10x was then it was easy to work out all the others.

(Yes I was that kind of child - I think they breathed a sigh of relief when I left.)

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
I still remember in junior school (age 7-8?) standing up and explaining to the teacher that we didn't need to learn all these times-tables because as long as you knew what 2x, 5x and 10x was then it was easy to work out all the others.

3x6 = (1+2)x(1+5)?

Then, you don't even need to know any table
3x6 = (1+1+1)x(1+1+1+1+1+1)
:biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
That's the basic stuff. I'm still fascinated by multiples of 9. Take any multiple of nine, and add the digits. THey add up to nine. If the sum is more than 1 digit, then add the digits of the sum, and that adds up to nine.
The same procedure works for 3. The proofs are rather satisfying and simple to do.

Proofs? Oh, no. That's magic, that is.