Time taken to freeze ice vertically from top exposed surface

In summary, the individual is seeking help in designing an insulated ice mold that can create clear ice by forcing the water to freeze in one direction. They provide details such as the ambient temperature, pressure, gravity, water temperature, dimensions of the cube, and material composition of the mold. They have calculated the energy required to freeze the cube and are stuck on determining the convective coefficients. They have also developed a thermal circuit for the side walls and calculated the time it would take for the whole ice cube to freeze. They are unsure if their calculations are correct and are seeking feedback.
fahey32
Hi guys,
New to the forum wanted a little help in designing an insulated ice mold. Basically the objective is to force the water in the mold to freeze axially or in one direction in order to make clear ice. Ideally, the time taken for the ice cube to freeze from the top surface exposed to the ambient air should be less than the time taken for the inside surfaces of the mold to reach zero.

Assuming:
Air:-
Ta = -10°C
P = 1ATM
g = 9.8

Water:-
Ti = 20°C
Tf = 0°C
Cp = 4.18
h(fg) = 355 KJ/kg (Latent Heat of Fusion)
rho = 1000 kg/m^3

Cube Dimension:-
L = 0.05m
m = 0.05^2*1000 = 0.125 kg

Initially, I've calculated the energy required to freeze the cube as:

Q = m[Cp*∆T - m*h(fg)]
= 0.125[4.18(0-20) - 355]
= -52.14375 KJ

Then I get stuck on determining the convective coefficients. I've tried calculating the Nusselt number for free convection on a hot horizontal plate top surface (top exposed surface) but Rayleigh number is less than 10^4. And for the sides (assuming the bottom is sitting on the inside surface which is practically adiabatic) I get:

Tf = (Ti-Ta) / 2 = 278°K
Beta = 1/Tf = 3.597*10^-3 °K^-1

From Linear Interpolation of Data for air @ Tf (Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, Frank P. Incropera: Table A.4)
Nu = 13.932*10^6 m^2 / s
Alpha = 19.596*10^6 m^2 / s
Pr = 0.71272
k = 24.14 *10^-3 W / m.K

Ra = g*Beta*(Ti-Ta)*L^3 / (Alpha*Nu)
= 4.842*10^5
*as Ra~<10^9 use laminar equation. C=0.59, n=1/4

Nu = 0.68 + 0.67*Ra^(n) / [1+(0.492/Pr)^(9/16)]^(4/9)
= 14.251

Nu = h*L/k
h = 6.8804 W / m^2.K (Convection Coefficient)

Then developing a thermal circuit for the side walls which is 3mm (tpe) LDPE sandwiched between two 2mm (tsi) layers of silicone rubber.

Ksi = 0.2 W / m.K
Kpe = 0.034 W / m.K

The source would be the water and the sink would be the ambient freezer temp.

1/Rt = 2*tsi/Ksi +tpe/Kpe +1/h
Rt = 3.94 W / m^2.K

q = Rt*A*∆T
= 3.94*(0.05)^2*((-10)-20)
= 0.2958 W

I know if you divide that through Q/q = 176298.49 sec which works out to ~48 hours. That seems a little excessive to me especially considering that q is an instantaneous rate when the temperature difference is greatest and will only decrease meaning that it would take ~>50 hours for the inside surface temperature to reach 0°C (unless it is an average rate, I forget). Knowing my luck it's possible I'm going in the wrong direction for determining this altogether. Am I doing the right thing and how do I work out the time taken for the whole ice cube to freeze from the top surface?

Regards,

Josh

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How does the thickness of the ice affect the time it takes to freeze vertically from the top exposed surface?

The thicker the ice, the longer it will take to freeze vertically from the top exposed surface. This is because it takes longer for the cold temperature to reach the bottom of the ice and freeze it completely.

2. Does the surrounding temperature affect the freezing time of ice?

Yes, the surrounding temperature plays a significant role in the time it takes for ice to freeze vertically. Colder temperatures will cause the ice to freeze faster, while warmer temperatures will slow down the freezing process.

3. What is the impact of air circulation on the time taken to freeze ice vertically from the top exposed surface?

Air circulation can have a significant impact on the freezing time of ice. If there is a lot of air movement around the ice, it will freeze faster due to the constant exposure to cold temperatures. On the other hand, still air can hinder the freezing process.

4. How does the purity of water affect the freezing time of ice?

The purity of water does have an impact on the freezing time of ice. Pure water, with no impurities, will freeze faster than water with impurities. This is because impurities can act as nucleation points, allowing the ice crystals to form more easily.

5. Is the time taken to freeze ice vertically from the top exposed surface affected by the shape of the container?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect the time it takes for ice to freeze vertically from the top exposed surface. A wider and shallower container will freeze faster than a deeper and narrower one. This is because there is a larger surface area exposed to the cold temperature in a wider container.