Time & Temperature: Proportional or Inverse?

In summary, shina argues that time is either proportional or inversely proportional to temperature, and that temperature has no bearing on time.
shina
Hey I m new here. I hope u all will cooperate with me.
As I have read much about proportionality in science. So can I say that when time increases temperature also inreases or decreases. So time is proportional or inversely proportional to temperature.

Science news on Phys.org
shina said:
Hey I m new here. I hope u all will cooperate with me.
As I have read much about proportionality in science. So can I say that when time increases temperature also inreases or decreases. So time is proportional or inversely proportional to temperature.
Time just flows right along regardless of temperature so expressing that time is dependent on something like temperature is definitely looking at things backward.

You can play with equations so that the MATH looks that way, but that doesn't represent reality. You can't change temperature and automatically have time be forced to change.

Besides all of that, temperature does NOT necessarily change with time in general. Be more specific about what temperature you are talking about.

Likes shina
Yaa
phinds said:
Time just flows right along regardless of temperature so expressing that time is dependent on something like temperature is definitely looking at things backward.

You can play with equations so that the MATH looks that way, but that doesn't represent reality. You can't change temperature and automatically have time be forced to change.

Besides all of that, temperature does NOT necessarily change with time in general. Be more specific about what temperature you are talking about.
Yaa I m truly satisfied with u
Actually we don't know anything about time. Think about the period when nothing was there. At that period the concept of time was not introduced. Now u don't know any single thing about time. But u can feel when it is hot it is afternoon, cool then it may be day or night. Here u can feel different weather. Now u can conclude that for x period u feel warm or cold. So here in x period the temperature was y. Here don't ever think of current timing. Now u will find that x is propotional to y,s is propotional to z and so on. X and s are some period (time) and y and z are temperature. Hence I can say that time is either proportional or is inversely propotional to temp

shina said:
Hence I can say that time is either proportional or is inversely propotional to temp
I say again, this is only correct as far as a math equation goes. It has no bearing on reality.

Likes shina
phinds said:
I say again, this is only correct as far as a math equation goes. It has no bearing on reality.
But by using similar methods many theories are formed. I m also fully satisfied with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a container of something, let's say just a bottle of water, at a given temperature, say 20C.
Now place the container in box which has air maintained at 20C and leave it there for a week, or years if you like.
What temperature do you suppose the water will be when you take it out of the box?

Likes shina
rootone said:
Take a container of something, let's say just a bottle of water, at a given temperature, say 20C.
Now place the container in box which has air maintained at 20C and leave it there for a week, or years if you like.
What temperature do you suppose the water will be when you take it out of the box?
I hope it will remain same

shina said:
I hope it will remain same
Yes, so the passing of time is unrelated to the temperature.
You could of course start with water at 20C and heat it to be 30C, and this will take a certain amount of time.
However that time will be dependent on the amount of energy being applied, it will get warm much quicker if warmed by a microwave oven than it will if warmed by a candle.

Likes shina
rootone said:
Yes, so the passing of time is unrelated to the temperature.
You could of course start with water at 20C and heat it to be 30C, and this will take a certain amount of time.
However that time will be dependent on the amount of energy being applied, it will get warm much quicker if warmed by a microwave oven than it will if warmed by a candle.
yes this is a correct example. But how do u know what the time is. Let us take time = x and temperature = y and it is stable. Now I can write x is proportional to time because time is never stable it will go on increasing. And if time will increase then automatically temp will decrease as compare to time. Thus I can say time is proportional or inversely proportional to temp

Thread closed temporarily. @shina please check your inbox.

Edit: the thread is reopened

Last edited:
Likes DrSteve

Related to Time & Temperature: Proportional or Inverse?

1. What is the relationship between time and temperature?

The relationship between time and temperature can vary depending on the situation. In some cases, time and temperature may be directly proportional, meaning that as time increases, so does the temperature. In other cases, they may be inversely proportional, meaning that as time increases, temperature decreases.

2. How do you determine if time and temperature are proportional or inverse?

The best way to determine the relationship between time and temperature is by plotting a graph of the two variables. If the graph shows a straight line passing through the origin, then the relationship is proportional. If the graph shows a curve that decreases or increases, then the relationship is inverse.

3. What factors can affect the relationship between time and temperature?

Several factors can affect the relationship between time and temperature, such as the type of material, the amount of heat applied, and external conditions like pressure and humidity. These factors can alter the rate at which temperature changes over time.

4. Can time and temperature ever be independent of each other?

Yes, time and temperature can be independent of each other in certain scenarios. For example, in a chemical reaction, the time it takes for a reaction to occur is not necessarily related to the temperature at which it occurs. However, in most cases, there is some level of dependence between time and temperature.

5. How is the concept of time and temperature used in scientific research?

The relationship between time and temperature is a crucial aspect of many scientific studies, particularly in fields such as physics and chemistry. It is used to understand and predict how materials and substances will react to changes in temperature over time. This information is essential in developing new technologies and improving our understanding of the natural world.