Tips for Successful Online Learning

• Thread starter Ras12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, Coulomb determined that the force of interaction between two charges is proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This can be represented by an electric field, which is a function of position and can be calculated by summing the fields generated by individual charges. The concept is similar to that of a gravitational field, but with the added consideration of positive and negative charges.
Ras12
Homework Statement
Finding magnitude of electric field. Thank you for any help!! For some reason I just cannot grasp this concept.
Relevant Equations
E=k((q1*q2)/r^2)
lambda= Q/L
F845FE85-D5E7-4A3E-8E46-AA0A1A0B520F.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, about the concept, Coulomb experimentally determined that the force of interaction between two charges has a magnitude of ##k\frac{qQ}{r^2}##, where ##k## is a constant, ##r## is the distance between them, and ##q## and ##Q## are respectively the charges' "charges".

One then imagines this: If I have just one charge, ##Q##, then I can imagine that it creates a "field" such that if I place another charge anywhere, then the force between the two would be as already mentioned.

That field would have a magnitude of ##E=\frac{F}{q}=k\frac{Q}{r^2}##, where we, now, interpret ##r## as the distance to any given point in space, thus you have a function of position.

In vector form, you would have ##\vec E(x, y, z)=k\frac{Q}{(Q_x-x)^2+(Q_y-y)^2+(Q_z-z)^2}\vec u##, where ##\vec u## is the unit vector of the line connecting the "fixed" charge (the one "generating" the field) and the point ##(x, y, z)##, and ##Q_i## are the charge's coordinates.

For your exercise, you need to consider another fact, which is that you can add fields, so that if you have ##n## charges, then the electric field at any point is the sum of all electric field. You can also consider infinitesimal charges, i.e infinitely small parts of a "total" charge.

The wire is your "total" charge, you need to consider it being formed of infinitely many infinitesimal charges ##dq##, and that the magnitude of the field generated by any of these is ##k\frac{dq}{r^2}##.
This a really watered down summary of your lecture, you should go read the textbook and look at examples. I recommend Michel van Bizen's channel. Here's a link to the chapter you are currently studying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
It's very similar to a gravitational field. At a given position in space the force it exerts on a charge is proportional to the value of that charge, just as Earth's pull on a mass is proportional to the magnitude of the mass. And as with a gravitational field, if you go twice as far from the field's source the strength of the field is one quarter; and in both cases, the field has a direction as well as a strength (magnitude) at each point in space.

The main difference is that in gravitation masses are all positive and attract each other, whereas in electricity we have positive and negative charges, with opposites attracting and likes repelling.

1. What are some tips for managing time effectively while learning online?

One tip for managing time effectively while learning online is to create a schedule and stick to it. This can help you stay organized and ensure that you are completing your assignments on time. Additionally, try breaking up your studying into smaller chunks throughout the day, rather than trying to do it all at once. This can help prevent burnout and improve retention of the material.

2. How can I stay motivated while taking online courses?

Staying motivated while taking online courses can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. First, try setting specific goals for yourself and rewarding yourself when you achieve them. You can also find a study buddy or join online study groups to help keep you accountable and motivated. Lastly, remember to take breaks and practice self-care to prevent burnout.

3. What are some tools or resources that can aid in successful online learning?

There are many tools and resources available to aid in successful online learning. Some helpful tools include online learning platforms such as Canvas or Blackboard, which often have features like discussion boards and online quizzes. Other resources that can be helpful include online tutorials, virtual study groups, and online libraries or databases.

4. How can I effectively communicate with my online instructors?

Effective communication with online instructors is important for successful online learning. One tip is to make sure you understand their preferred method of communication, whether it's email, discussion boards, or virtual office hours. Additionally, make sure to ask questions and clarify any confusion you have about course material. Remember to be respectful and professional in your communication.

5. How can I stay organized with my online coursework?

Staying organized with online coursework can be a challenge, but there are a few strategies you can use. First, make sure to keep a calendar or schedule of due dates for assignments and exams. You can also create digital folders to keep all your course materials organized. Additionally, try to set aside a specific time and place for studying each day to help you stay focused and on track.