To recreate a projection of the transit of Venus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a reflecting telescope to project the transit of Venus onto a piece of paper. The focus of the image is compared to using a flashlight and sharpie, with the conclusion that the telescope allows for a higher level of resolution and precision due to its design and the size and distance of the sun and Venus. The person is encouraged to continue learning and asking questions about optics and astronomy.
phack
Hi! Newly registered here, with an optics question.

I was going through some photos I took of the transit of Venus this year, where I'd used a reflecting telescope to project the image of the sun and the passing planet onto a piece of white paper. Image: http://imgur.com/3mdUN

I showed it to some friends and one responded words to the effect, "I know I should be amazed, but I can't help thinking I could recreate that with a flashlight and a sharpie." I understand the sun is much brighter than any flashlight: my question really relates to the focus of the image produced.

My counter to this point was that for the sun/Venus system, one could reach an arbitrary level of resolution, whereas with a flashlight, the light source and sharpie blackout would be so close that the "planet" could never achieve the same level of focus..? I admit, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I'd really appreciate anyone's advice/expertise.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience with the transit of Venus. It's always exciting to witness rare astronomical events like that.

To address your friend's point, you are correct in saying that the sun is significantly brighter than any flashlight, which is why it is not recommended to look at the sun directly. However, the focus of the image is also an important factor in creating a clear and detailed image.

In your case, the reflecting telescope is specifically designed to focus light and produce a clear image, whereas a flashlight and sharpie would not have the same level of precision in focusing the light. This is because of the optics and mechanics involved in the design of a telescope.

Additionally, the size and distance of the sun and Venus also play a role in the resolution of the image. The sun is much larger and farther away than any object you could create with a flashlight and sharpie, which allows for a higher level of detail and resolution in the image.

I hope this helps clarify the differences between using a reflecting telescope and a flashlight and sharpie. Keep exploring and learning about optics and astronomy, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Happy stargazing!

1. What is the transit of Venus?

The transit of Venus is a rare astronomical event in which the planet Venus passes between the Sun and the Earth. This phenomenon only occurs four times every 243 years and the last transit was in 2012.

2. How can I recreate a projection of the transit of Venus?

To recreate a projection of the transit of Venus, you will need a telescope, a piece of cardboard, and some basic supplies like scissors, tape, and a pen. You will also need a clear view of the Sun during the transit.

3. Why is it important to recreate a projection of the transit of Venus?

The transit of Venus is important because it allows us to measure the distance between the Earth and the Sun with great accuracy. This measurement is crucial for understanding the scale of our solar system and the universe.

4. Can I use a camera to recreate a projection of the transit of Venus?

Yes, you can use a camera to capture the transit of Venus, but it is important to use proper solar filters to protect your eyes and the camera's lens. Never look directly at the Sun through a camera or telescope without proper solar filters.

5. When is the next transit of Venus and where can I see it?

The next transit of Venus will occur on December 10-11, 2117. It will not be visible from many parts of the world, including North America. However, you can check with your local astronomy club or planetarium for any organized viewing events.