DIY - Replacing my bicycle tire with recycled plastic

In summary: I haven't researched solid tire construction but I'll look into it.In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of creating a solid tire using recycled plastic. The plan involves using cardboard and a heat gun to create a mold, melting plastic into the mold, and using an electric motor to spin the tire. However, there are concerns about the durability and practicality of this project. There are also suggestions to consider using other materials or researching solid tire construction methods.
Evanish
So the rubber on one of my bicycle tires has worn out to the point it needs to be replaced, and I was thinking I'd prefer a solid tire this time. Rather then buying one like a normal person I was thinking if I could make my own out of recycled plastic.

Here is the plan as it currently stands. Get some cardboard and cut a hole for the spokes so the tire can be level with the board. Get some more cardboard to form a ring so I have a crude mold to melt the plastic into. then glue all this together so it won't move around while I'm working. Here is a picture of the crude mold I'm thinking about making to form my plastic wheel.
KM4TVswDWAumGOTKfl-WZNZeO9i0vF6SEZL_EOGyT_RRPCS46csOrPXOTvlBUUibANERTPGnyVeBxutB2NxfV6MiX952pqcU24vO-81yFHSj7bawfYb7nsvmpergqZjT5gioWi8tj3nbR2fiskVCrS6iwTY7tyErQd8U3Frrw65-2JgVNml1FVR_boupsmQwH0apihPAM-qEJFAHyt9KuuOePmBinRdT4s8dWgi6pznJor8Hd92u8rrDIOPxCwMBWxEcU_0-UesN67rzXOHCRCugBRx4FNLXEp__Mo229W65gX7XVqAOLSPYWTWgS9uNbeaLJH2SpVLtUXX13U00jf-3PE2qYW4Ojcb2ul3fXFfmHcluyAkbfwNZoNprytjXkry2c1iZeEZvMbGwUbWUTFgiuab0-pQs6p4Oi37djunfRT30_DtjLp1Hxd7Cc5PhCXMl5UahZbK1U6mIT8PTLFaLGPsZfvKFYJOb2G8KCOcvv-L-06zlssqIBuX5YAUAMQKcSvuS9T6cRwUcmIqp0nhtf9gl2uJkBXiaFsEc49T0N5vj9gQyqhMHamRCoSkfWHwwKDxsz-xeIzxpXgzZ3HU9H76mmNcD6bwPBow=w473-h352-no

Next I'd melt little pieces of plastic into the mold with a 14 amp heat gun.
Z6xI80RzAtDGXvWQbNE-3WgDQxAtEqCDCDuCAn-aUB9mZQYBwhCaa7bH9dIQurqIGb1sW9A8xg=w327-h244-no.png

Then I'd remove the newly formed tire from the mold. I assume that it won't be formed well enough at this point to make for a good ride. In order to fix this I though about using a lath, but the tire is too big. Then I though about reattaching it to the bicycle and using lath tools on it there. Here is a picture of the tools in question.
jtlnkvc8Aen96asEscVUTTp3sPnWd-5p8OEL00DeE1LlC8Ag-VD4aUATEJR4KOL5RuwUj5y6OMkds_SNnI=w1131-h637-no.jpg

In order for this to work I think I'd need to find some way to use an electric motor to spin the wheel. I have a motor I took form a blender that I'm hoping to use. Here is a picture.
0P8H5MXNQlWxb-SN1HBTARGuqRJWEIsyICshi5ThCf1039O5iktPsKOnwnMVsV3kwccvze_cYQpKmQbfEY=w1131-h637-no.jpg

Of course I'll be careful about the exposed wires. I was thinking I could attach a wheel to it, and then put that wheel in contact with the bicycle wheel in order to spin it using friction.

One big issue is this idea is finding some way to secure everything in the correct position while I'm working. I have some clamps, twist ties and other simple restraint for that, but I'm feeling that trying to find something to attach everything to and getting everything lined up would be very frustrating.

Frankly I'm not really feeling confident about the project as a whole so I thought I'd post it here and see what people think. Any suggestion on the project would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Z6xI80RzAtDGXvWQbNE-3WgDQxAtEqCDCDuCAn-aUB9mZQYBwhCaa7bH9dIQurqIGb1sW9A8xg=w327-h244-no.png
    Z6xI80RzAtDGXvWQbNE-3WgDQxAtEqCDCDuCAn-aUB9mZQYBwhCaa7bH9dIQurqIGb1sW9A8xg=w327-h244-no.png
    24 KB · Views: 524
  • jtlnkvc8Aen96asEscVUTTp3sPnWd-5p8OEL00DeE1LlC8Ag-VD4aUATEJR4KOL5RuwUj5y6OMkds_SNnI=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    jtlnkvc8Aen96asEscVUTTp3sPnWd-5p8OEL00DeE1LlC8Ag-VD4aUATEJR4KOL5RuwUj5y6OMkds_SNnI=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 599
  • 0P8H5MXNQlWxb-SN1HBTARGuqRJWEIsyICshi5ThCf1039O5iktPsKOnwnMVsV3kwccvze_cYQpKmQbfEY=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    0P8H5MXNQlWxb-SN1HBTARGuqRJWEIsyICshi5ThCf1039O5iktPsKOnwnMVsV3kwccvze_cYQpKmQbfEY=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 531
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just fill the tire tube with solid material?

Likes Evanish
jedishrfu said:
Why not just fill the tire tube with solid material?
I actually attempted filling the tire tube with something. After considering various options I decided to try filling the tire with cement. I purchased some masonry cement and put it through a strainer to get out the bigger rocks. Then I cut short the bicycle tire air valve so that I would have an unimpeded hole to squirt the concrete into it. Then I bought one of the bellow from dollar tree to use as a pump to get the cement into the tube.
b_ZK0snPxVXtY9laNFfQutshIz7Y2M3_mwBpklRX1-DdXfE_GMRL-u5Fb7HO2VT4QWpr7-LcCdlfrWOlXxk=w192-h436-no.png

I cut of the upper end so that the plunger could be removed, and the cement funneled in. Unfortunately at some point before I could get started someone mistook my pump for trash, and threw it away. Feeling frustrated I decided to use a bit of scrap PVC pipe and wooden doweling in it's place. This turned out to be a mistake as sand from the cement got jammed between the wooden doweling and the PVC pipe leading to the plan's failure. The only thing I succeed in was clogging the air valve with cement leading me to need to switch to this new plan. Perhaps it would have failed anyways as I had added quite a bit of water to the cement to get it flow smoothly so it was really weak when it dried and so I may have ended up with lumpy tires as result.

Attachments

• b_ZK0snPxVXtY9laNFfQutshIz7Y2M3_mwBpklRX1-DdXfE_GMRL-u5Fb7HO2VT4QWpr7-LcCdlfrWOlXxk=w192-h436-no.png
    b_ZK0snPxVXtY9laNFfQutshIz7Y2M3_mwBpklRX1-DdXfE_GMRL-u5Fb7HO2VT4QWpr7-LcCdlfrWOlXxk=w192-h436-no.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 442
Selection of the recycled plastic would be critical. It needs to be not brittle, yet durable, and with a melting point compatible with your heart gun. How are you selecting the plastic?

Could you use another tire to make a mold, then use something like lost wax casting?

Likes Evanish and jedishrfu
anorlunda said:
Selection of the recycled plastic would be critical. It needs to be not brittle, yet durable, and with a melting point compatible with your heart gun. How are you selecting the plastic?

Could you use another tire to make a mold, then use something like lost wax casting?
I was thinking of using LDPE. The melting point is pretty low at 180-240 centigrade. I tried melting plastic bags with the heat gun, and it seems to work well enough so LDPE should be good. It's also not brittle. As for durability it will hopefully be good enough. Also, I picked up a big LDPE kids sand box someone was getting ride of so I should have enough material. I'm guessing they put something in it to protect against UV light which is also a plus.

As for using another tire to make a mold I'll have to think about that a bit. I can't use a big mold where the plastic enters in from a single point because melted plastic doesn't flow very well. From what I've read in the plastic industry they use high pressures injected into steel molds to get around this, but that isn't an option for me. Maybe I can make a half mold of a good tire with concrete though. That might be more effective then the crude mold I talked about above.

In truth, I think this is an effort in futility. You must know you need something as pliable as rubber.

Using cement doesn’t make sense.

Have you researched solid tire construction?

Likes Evanish, NTL2009 and Spinnor
jedishrfu said:
In truth, I think this is an effort in futility. You must know you need something as pliable as rubber.

Using cement doesn’t make sense.

Have you researched solid tire construction?
The cement thing is very likely a bad idea as even if I succeed in getting it in the resulting tire would likely be less than ideal. My hope was that the tuber tube, and old tire would, would encase the cement in such a way that even if it broke into many pieces the tire would still be fairly firm, but I've given up on this idea now. I've also heard about people using construction foam to fill their tires, but from what I've found on it the results weren't that great either as the foams used tend to collapse over time. As for my plastic idea I'm not too confident on it either. If I was a more practical person I'd have long sense given up and just bought a pre made solid bicycle tire of the correct size. Even though I'm low on funds it's bound to be a lot cheaper, easier and more effective then what I can do DIY wise. At any rate perhaps out of stubbornness, or just to see if I can pull it of, I'm incline to preserve a little while longer.

At any rate here is a fun video of a Russian man filling his tire with concrete, and another where he replaces it with a log.

The results are less then ideal.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
I spent 75 dollars for 3 Continetal 700x25mm 120psi tires. They are a good compomise of low weight and good wear characteristics. The low spinning weight helps improve my preformace. Quality tires reduce my risk of of injury.

Likes jedishrfu
Spinnor said:
I spent 75 dollars for 3 Continetal 700x25mm 120psi tires. They are a good compomise of low weight and good wear characteristics. The low spinning weight helps improve my preformace. Quality tires reduce my risk of of injury.

My memory is bad, checked the order, 3 tires were less then 50 bucks with free shipping.

Likes Evanish
So here is an update. I decided to make mold the other tire like anorlunda suggested. I decided to make it out of masonry cement since I had some, and I thought would be sturdy enough. To start with I prepared some ground to work on. Here is a picture of the ground I leveled and the whole I made for the spokes.
JoGOo0OU5yZo_nIT46blU6_Vs1uixKKhFTbdyHC-RFLNpWZdd4kYlmbb1-IKWi2nBsh7NKVKDRfqFL8umw=w1131-h637-no.jpg

Next I put down the cement (about 11 pounds dry), put the tire one it, stepped on the tire to make it sink in and then shaped the cement around the tire by hand. Here is a picture of the result.
oZ-1V4yjdrM-Fhcg1kdwil159m2h2qcc3XjuLg6BUi9U4eSWnwubFMg_eEbwsuUFc27gdhDjkf2NUX0oas=w1131-h637-no.jpg

The next day I made a mistake by trying to remove the tire too soon, and ended up breaking the mold before it hardened. After waiting for things to harden fulled I glued the mold back together with super glue, used some more cement to fill in the missing pieces and then enforced it with even more cement. At any rate, I'm waiting for things to harden now. I'll be back with more updates as things progress.

Attachments

• JoGOo0OU5yZo_nIT46blU6_Vs1uixKKhFTbdyHC-RFLNpWZdd4kYlmbb1-IKWi2nBsh7NKVKDRfqFL8umw=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    JoGOo0OU5yZo_nIT46blU6_Vs1uixKKhFTbdyHC-RFLNpWZdd4kYlmbb1-IKWi2nBsh7NKVKDRfqFL8umw=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 393
  • oZ-1V4yjdrM-Fhcg1kdwil159m2h2qcc3XjuLg6BUi9U4eSWnwubFMg_eEbwsuUFc27gdhDjkf2NUX0oas=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    oZ-1V4yjdrM-Fhcg1kdwil159m2h2qcc3XjuLg6BUi9U4eSWnwubFMg_eEbwsuUFc27gdhDjkf2NUX0oas=w1131-h637-no.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 401
I have to say you have the mind of a classic inventor. There’s a movie you should watch

The Worlds Fastest Indian

Its a story about an eccentric inventor living in Australia who keeps tinkering with his old Indian motorcycle with the hope of someday racing it at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

He had the mind of a classic inventor who attacked engineering problems in ways no engineer ever would. One example was how he made his high speed tires by using a paring knife to remove the tread.

Anthony Hopkins stars as the inventor.

jedishrfu said:
Its a story about an eccentric inventor living in Australia
Bert Munro was a Kiwi (New Zealander). I don't believe he ever lived in Australia. He changed his first name from Bert to Burt after it was mispelled in a motorcycle magazine.

1. Can I really replace my bicycle tire with recycled plastic?

Yes, it is possible to replace your bicycle tire with recycled plastic. In fact, there are many DIY tutorials and guides available online that show you how to do it. It may require some basic tools and skills, but it is a great way to reduce waste and repurpose materials.

2. Is it safe to ride on a bicycle tire made from recycled plastic?

Yes, it is safe to ride on a bicycle tire made from recycled plastic as long as it is done correctly. The key is to make sure the plastic used is strong and durable enough to withstand the pressure and weight of the bicycle and rider. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and check the tire for any signs of wear or damage before using it.

3. What are the benefits of using recycled plastic for my bicycle tire?

Using recycled plastic for your bicycle tire has several benefits. It helps reduce waste and promotes sustainability by repurposing materials that would otherwise end up in landfills. It is also a cost-effective option, as recycled plastic is often cheaper than traditional tire materials. Additionally, using recycled plastic can help reduce the demand for new materials, thereby reducing the environmental impact of production.

4. Are there any downsides to using recycled plastic for my bicycle tire?

There are a few potential downsides to using recycled plastic for your bicycle tire. One is that it may not be as durable as traditional tire materials, so it may not last as long. This can be mitigated by using strong and high-quality plastic and regularly checking the tire for any wear or damage. Another downside is that the process of making a recycled plastic tire may require more time and effort compared to simply buying a new tire.

5. Can I recycle the tire again once it wears out?

Yes, you can recycle the tire again once it wears out. Recycled plastic can be melted down and used to create new products, so you can continue the cycle of sustainability by properly disposing of your old tire and repurposing it into something else. However, it is always a good idea to check with your local recycling facilities to see if they accept plastic tires.