Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #2,136
phinds said:
Well, Jim (@jim hardy) how about you download it and let us know what you think.

It installed okay i think, at least reports that it did. The terms are all unfamiliar. Will put a toe in the water next few days... got to go get tires this morning.

Thanks Auf-2045 for those tips on Basic ! Visual Basic might be a steppingstone ?

old jim

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,137
VisualBasic is a weird programming language in some aspects.
Never used Basic.

• #2,138
OmCheeto said:
Ain't that the truth. I've had Macbooks for 10 years now, and still haven't figured out the Xcode "environment".
But that doesn't stop me. Every year, I create a new "project".
My latest project's name: "nevergiveup".
It would appear that on my last attempt , I learned how to put in a "text box".

View attachment 127433

It will probably take me another 5 years to figure out how I did that. :oldconfused: :oldcry:

You are right to point out the absurdity of overly complex IDE's which make our life "simpler."

It's truly amazing how software has become a nightmare of complex garbage, when actually it could all be so simple if people did it the right way. According to Wirth this has something to do with technical vs. commercial motives. Follow the money. Then read Wirth's essay A Plea For Lean Software.

Likes Borg
  • #2,140
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
You are right to point out the absurdity of overly complex IDE's which make our life "simpler."

It's truly amazing how software has become a nightmare of complex garbage, when actually it could all be so simple if people did it the right way. According to Wirth this has something to do with technical vs. commercial motives. Follow the money. Then read Wirth's essay A Plea For Lean Software.
I disagree completely. The current VS 2017 is REALLY complex but I'd be surprised if there was stuff there that no one got any use from. It WOULD be nice if there were a simpler version for newcomers but I would NOT want any of the complexity removed. And that's just the "community" version. The Pro and Enterprise versions have even more complexity and I'm sure the people who use them would not want any of it to disappear. You are looking for reduced feature versions and many of us (probably most) would not want that.

Last edited:
Likes mfb
  • #2,141
jim hardy said:
It installed okay i think, at least reports that it did. The terms are all unfamiliar. Will put a toe in the water next few days... got to go get tires this morning.

Thanks Auf-2045 for those tips on Basic !
Visual Basic might be a steppingstone ?
Stepping stone to WHAT? I've been using VB since there WAS a VB. It was a bit primitive 25 years ago but now its very powerful and has been more than adequate since VB 6 at which point I dropped all my C/C++ programming and went purely w/ VB. You cannot do anything in any dev language for MS products that you can't do with VB.NET After all, they all run off of the "dot net" Framework and VB.NET accesses it just as well as anything.

• #2,142
Likes DennisN
  • #2,143
Today I learned something about Oleg Losev, the discoverer of the LED.

There's an old PF post which links to this BBC News article. Apparently the BBC writer did not know about Losev.

"The LED started life in October 1962, as a single red illumination in a General Electric research lab in New York state."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19886534

Losev was denied higher education because he was an aristocrat, he never obtained the job he deserved, and he was destroyed by war. Yet, when all is said and done, he will be remembered as the pioneer of the LED.

http://www.circuitstoday.com/invention-history-of-light-emitting-diode-led

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Losev

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,144
phinds said:
Stepping stone to WHAT? I've been using VB since there WAS a VB. It was a bit primitive 25 years ago but now its very powerful and has been more than adequate since VB 6 at which point I dropped all my C/C++ programming and went purely w/ VB. You cannot do anything in any dev language for MS products that you can't do with VB.NET After all, they all run off of the "dot net" Framework and VB.NET accesses it just as well as anything.

I think VB is very useful for people who want to do many kinds of Windows programming. I've used it myself. For example, if I was doing some database programming for Windows, and I wanted a nice GUI, my first thought would be VB. Although I believe some people would say use C#. For games using real-time 3D graphics, VB would not be most people's first choice. I don't think there is any "best" language.

If someone wants to brush up on Basic, without getting into Windows programing right away, then something like FreeBasic could be better.

I think MS was trying to develop a sort of upgraded Qbasic interpreter or perhaps a very trimmed down VB, but I don't have any recent information on that.

• #2,145
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:

As far as being overly complex, I'm not sure. All I really need now, as before, is a step in the door. Way back in 2000 I purchased Borland's Builder, version 2 generations ago, for nearly nothing, and the instruction manuals were obviously not written for me, so I bought "Builder for Dummies". Once that book got me in the door, there was no stopping me.

The 30 page piece of software I wrote for my 1st term CS class, which was a step above everyone else's "Hello World", later turned into a tool I introduced at work, and wouldn't become obsolete for 20 years. (Company memo: "No matter how sweet your algorithm was, we will no longer be supporting software written for Win 3.14, you sorry old hippy coders"... :oldgrumpy:) I think it saved the company about a million dollars in wages. But did I ever see any of that? Nooooooooo...

ps. I'm not about to read a book on how stupid the computer industry is, when I should be getting back into coding. Coding is freakin' the bomb!

• #2,146
phinds said:
Stepping stone to WHAT?
From Basic to that IDE world.

• #2,148
jim hardy said:
From Basic to that IDE world.
Oh, I see. You're talking about going from the old BASIC to VB. Good point.

Likes jim hardy
  • #2,150
DennisN said:
A link I got, to infinity and beyond :smile::
How about infinite broccoli: http://i.imgur.com/p9wxQVr.gif
(I tried to imbed the gif image but it didn't work)

Likes EnumaElish, BillTre, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #2,151
Today I learned that I like to post music videos as a way of avoiding any mention of serious matters. I think I will curtail my music video posting for now.

Speaking of serious matters, I learned that, according to one website, there are many job openings in Integrated Missile Defense, and they pay very well. The lowest salary group starts at $65,000. Most of these jobs are full-time. Not bad in today's gig economy. Maybe this kind of information will help those who are in the stage of life when they are wondering what to study and what kind of jobs to aim for.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Integrated-Air-Missile-Defense-jobs.html

Likes EnumaElish
  • #2,152
I learned that while lithium based batteries are still regarded as potentially hazardous,
there are upcoming new designs which eliminate the hazards, and may prove to be the essential missing component
in power supply grid systems that mostly produce energy from renewable but uncertain sources, solar, wind, tidal etc.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #2,153
TIL a couple of physicists have been researching conspiracy theories. One of them is named Antonin Scalia. (Source: Sci. Am. April 2017 p. 60)
"The leading conspiracy theory about Antonin Scalia’s death: Obama did it.The Supreme Court justice died in his sleep on Saturday at a luxury resort in West Texas, putting the Court’s conservative majority at risk. If President Obama’s eventual nominee somehow gets confirmed this year, which is no sure thing, the court will have five Democrat-appointed justices to the four picked by Republican presidents. So of course some paranoid people on Twitter smell foul play." https://newrepublic.com/minutes/129888/leading-conspiracy-theory-antonin-scalias-death-obama-it

Last edited:
  • #2,155
Oh! dear, just found this thread. This could be the down fall of my marriage, as she tells me that I already spend 'to much time looking at useless stuff.' Well today I learned about 'oyster veneering' and that's the second posting in this thread! wonder if I'll ever get to the last post?

Likes EnumaElish
  • #2,156
Today I learned of the existence of the TV channel, C-Span3, American History TV.

After a mere minute I found myself sucked into an excellent lecture on Abraham Lincoln, and had to watch the whole thing, which I think ended up being about 90 minutes. The historian was a guy named Allen Guelzo, a top notch lecturer.

Likes Drakkith
  • #2,157
Got BYUTV on your provider?

Check out "American Ride" a surprisingly interesting series with a "biker" motif.

• #2,158
today I learned that they may be negative mass

Likes EnumaElish
  • #2,159
Simon Peach said:
Something you better forget again immediately.

Likes EnumaElish
  • #2,160
I wish I could find negative mass... and add a little to myself...

Likes phinds, EnumaElish, Dewgale and 3 others
  • #2,161
Dr Transport said:
I wish I could find negative mass... and add a little to myself...
And think of the advantages in the grocery store!

• #2,163
Dr Transport said:
I wish I could find negative mass...
Won't you need to find some laters... firster ?[COLOR=#black] ..[/COLOR]:oldeyes: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] lol
Andrew Griffin said:
Scientists then use laters to kick the atoms around...

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,164
Simon Peach said:
and I did say maybe
:check:[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]Yup, you did.

Last edited:
  • #2,165
Simon Peach said:
fresh_42 said:
Something you better forget again immediately.
I think that he may be referring to this Science Daily article that came out last week - Physicists create 'negative mass'
Push it, and unlike every physical object in the world we know, it doesn't accelerate in the direction it was pushed. It accelerates backwards.
They are sensationalizing a bit but, interesting properties for what was created.

• #2,166
TIL that refrigerator "munion heaters" aren't electric anymore.
They intentionally apply heat around the doors to avoid annoying condensation and mold under the door gaskets. Last Sears i worked on was electric heating elements that you can switch off with an "energy saver' switch. But that was 1972.

Nowadays they run some of the hot side Freon tubing around the door jamb to warm it.
When the normal hot side (condenser) coils in the back get covered with dust or the fan stops, an inordinate amount of heat makes its way to the munion tubes in the doorjamb making the front of the fridge really hot to the touch.
That's a very nice feature because it alerts you that something needs attention.

My friend's wife noticed her fridge door area hot to the touch and sure enough, when we pulled it out and looked in the back the fan wasn't turning. The little fan motor was too hot to touch so while it was cooling down she ordered another.

I took it apart .
LGfanmotor.jpg

The front bearing was really tight but it came off the shaft with some oil and a hefty pull.
I soaked both bearings with the only oil i could find in the garage, automatic transmission fluid, and put it back together.

It's a happy fridge again.
I'll be very interested to learn how long the transmission fluid lube job lasts.

There's never a dull moment around old machinery.

old jim

Likes NascentOxygen, Aufbauwerk 2045, OCR and 1 other person
  • #2,167
Today I learned about Zagier's "one-sentence proof" that every prime p = 4k + 1 can be expressed as sum of two squares. It looks odd, and the involution comes out of nowhere, but it all fits together in an unexpected way.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and fresh_42
  • #2,168
mfb said:
Today I learned about Zagier's "one-sentence proof" that every prime p = 4k + 1 can be expressed as sum of two squares. It looks odd, and the involution comes out of nowhere, but it all fits together in an unexpected way.
What is pictured in your avatar?

• #2,170
jim hardy said:
it came off the shaft with some oil and a hefty pull.
Ok, now Jim, admit it... you used some magic too. [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]lol
jim hardy said:
There's never a dull moment around old machinery.
No truer statement can be made, however, as I get older, I'm starting to feel it's really not that bad to have... a dull moment. [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldbiggrin:

Likes jim hardy