Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2

• Thread starter Fellowroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torus
So, the critical values are -1, 0, and 1. The topological changes happen at the critical values, so you can figure out what happens to the sublevels sets as c goes from -1 to 1.In summary, the conversation discusses the function f=sin(4pix)cos(6pix) on the torus T^2=R^2/Z^2. The first part focuses on proving that this is a Morse function and calculating its minimum, maximum, and saddle points. The second part involves describing the evolution of the sublevel sets as the critical values go from -1 to 1. The critical values are -1, 0, and 1, and the topological changes occur
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

Consider the function f= sin(4pix)cos(6pix) on torus T^2=R^2/Z^2

a) prove this is a morse function and calculate min, max, saddle.

b) describe the evolution of sublevel sets f^-1(-inf, c) as c goes from min to max

Homework Equations

grad(f)= <partial x, partial y>

show hessian matrix not equal to zero

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand

1st need to find critical points. so take grad and set equal to zero

2nd use hessian matrix with those critical values that i found before and see if non zero

BUT, i don't know what torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 looks like. What does the T^2 mean? I believe R^2/Z^2 is just the xy graph because z has been removed. so its like 3D but if remove z then 2D

so is this a square flat torus?

once I know the shape then I can do the part b part since all you have to do is fill the shape with "water" and see how the topology changes within the critical values.

So is this correct? Since its cos and sin how do i know which critical values to pick and are within the domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret that notation as [0,1] x [0,1] where the edges are identified with each other, in the same way other objects are defined with the X/Y notation.

Fellowroot said:
Since its cos and sin how do i know which critical values to pick and are within the domain.
Everything that is in your torus is relevant. The functions have a period of 1 (and a smaller one but that is not important for this point), so identifying -0.8, 1.2, ... with .2 for example works nicely.

1. What is a Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2?

A Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2, also known as a 2-dimensional torus, is a mathematical object that can be visualized as a donut-shaped surface. It is formed by taking a square and connecting the opposite edges together to form a tube. The resulting shape has two dimensions, length and width, and is curved in the third dimension.

2. How is a Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 different from a regular torus?

A Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 is different from a regular torus in that it has a different topology. While a regular torus has a continuous surface, a Top/mani torus has a discontinuous surface due to the way it is formed by connecting opposite edges of a square. This difference in topology has implications in the properties and behavior of the two objects in mathematical and physical contexts.

3. What is the significance of the T^2=R^2/Z^2 in mathematics and science?

The Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 has significant applications in mathematics and science. It is used in fields such as geometry, topology, and differential equations to study surfaces and their properties. In physics, it is used to model various phenomena, including the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields. It also has applications in engineering, computer graphics, and other fields that deal with curved surfaces.

4. How can the T^2=R^2/Z^2 be visualized in higher dimensions?

A Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2 can be visualized in higher dimensions by adding more dimensions to the square used to create it. For example, a 3-dimensional torus, or T^3, can be formed by connecting opposite faces of a cube. Similarly, a 4-dimensional torus, or T^4, can be formed by connecting opposite cells of a 4-dimensional hypercube. This process can be extended to higher dimensions, although it becomes increasingly difficult to visualize in physical space.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of a Top/mani torus T^2=R^2/Z^2. One example is the shape of a doughnut or bagel, which closely resembles a 2-dimensional torus. Another example is the shape of certain bicycle tire rims, which have a circular cross-section and a hole in the center, similar to a torus. Additionally, some satellite orbits around planets can be visualized as a torus.