Tornado path visualization - what is this data?

In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to understand the significance of gold points and associated lines in a dataset related to a tornado that hit Uxbridge, Ontario. The conclusion was that the data could potentially be flight paths of drones used to assess damage. However, there were difficulties in accessing the actual images. It was also mentioned that some of the closed loops in the data may be due to drones returning home after completing their mission.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A tornado swept through the town of Uxbridge Ontario last week. What does this data say?
Does anyone have a clue what the gold points and associated lines represent?

I notice that all the gold lines form closed loops (so they're not travel paths) and they cross themselves (so they're not contours).

I can't think of any type of data that would result in this.
1654387473162.png

I've tried to follow up but I can't decipher the Twitterverse.

Attachments

• 1654387054438.png
    1654387054438.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 100
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Summary: A tornado swept through the town of Uxbridge Ontario last week. What does this data say?

I can't think of any type of data that would result in this.
The blue dots apparently represent images taken from a drone.
Additional photos collected via drone for the May 21, 2022, Uxbridge, ON event. Ground survey conducted May 22, 2022.
But the path/file seem to be to the individual's computer.

Last edited:
Likes DaveC426913
In hindsight, I can see that several of closed loops have one leg that is long and straight. A drone racing home for 'Mission Completed' treats.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and hutchphd

1. What is a tornado path visualization?

A tornado path visualization is a graphical representation of the path that a tornado takes as it moves across the ground. This data is typically displayed on a map to show the exact location and direction of the tornado's movement.

2. How is the data for tornado path visualization collected?

The data for tornado path visualization is collected through a variety of methods, including ground surveys, radar data, and eyewitness reports. This information is then compiled and analyzed to create an accurate representation of the tornado's path.

3. What can tornado path visualization data tell us?

Tornado path visualization data can provide valuable insights into the behavior and characteristics of tornadoes. This data can help scientists better understand how tornadoes form, how they move, and the damage they can cause.

4. How is tornado path visualization data used?

Tornado path visualization data is used by meteorologists, emergency management teams, and researchers to track and predict tornadoes. This data can also be used to assess the impact of a tornado and aid in disaster response efforts.

5. Is tornado path visualization data accurate?

Tornado path visualization data is constantly improving and becoming more accurate thanks to advancements in technology and data collection methods. However, it is important to note that tornadoes can be unpredictable and their paths can change quickly, so the data may not always be 100% accurate.