Torque Balancing and Virtual Work: Solving for Equations in Force Balancing

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of force and torque balancing in solving equations related to triangle properties. The possibility of using the concept of virtual work was also mentioned, with one person struggling to relate certain variables. The conversation concluded with discussing the advantages of using virtual work in certain situations.
cupcake_rainbow
Homework Statement
Two weights P and Q are suspended from a fixed point 0 by strings OA, OB and are kept apart by a light rod AB. If the strings OA and OB make angles alpha and beta with the rod AB, show that the angle theta which the rod makes with the vertical is given by tan theta = (P+Q)/(Pcot alpha -Qcot beta)
Relevant Equations
torque balancing
So I tried using force balancing.
I have attached files of my solution in my notebook
Torque balancing about O which gives me equation 1
And I used property of triangle, for equation 2
But i can't seem to get the right answer
Also, I was wondering if it could be done by concept of virtual work.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have a couple of errors in eqn (1). α and β seem to have got crossed over, and a sign looks wrong.

Likes cupcake_rainbow
haruspex said:
I think you have a couple of errors in eqn (1). α and β seem to have got crossed over, and a sign looks wrong.
Yup got the answer now, thanks
I am interested in finding out how to write the virtual work equation for this. I thought of increasing angle POQ, say ##\phi## to ##\phi +d\phi## but i couldn't relate ##d\alpha## and ##d\beta## . So if anyone can write the equation, that would be great.
Also I want to know when it's better to use virtual work and when just torque balancing is better.

cupcake_rainbow said:
thought of increasing angle POQ
But POQ is fixed by the geometry. To apply virtual work you wouid consider a small change to theta.
cupcake_rainbow said:
when it's better to use virtual work
Generally speaking, virtual work is useful when there are constraint forces that do no work, such as a bead sliding on wire. Using v.w. you can ignore such forces.

Likes cupcake_rainbow

1. What is torque balancing and virtual work?

Torque balancing and virtual work are concepts used in engineering and physics to solve for equations in force balancing. Torque balancing involves finding the equilibrium point for a system of forces, while virtual work involves using a virtual displacement to determine the work done by forces in a system.

2. How are torque balancing and virtual work related?

Torque balancing and virtual work are closely related as they both involve finding the equilibrium point for a system of forces. Torque balancing uses the concept of moments and torques to determine the equilibrium point, while virtual work uses the principle of conservation of energy to find the same point.

3. What is the importance of torque balancing and virtual work in engineering?

Torque balancing and virtual work are crucial concepts in engineering as they allow for the analysis and design of complex systems of forces. These concepts are used in a variety of applications, from designing bridges and buildings to creating machines and vehicles.

4. How do you solve for equations in force balancing using torque balancing and virtual work?

To solve for equations in force balancing, you first need to identify all the forces acting on a system and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, using the principles of torque balancing and virtual work, you can set up equations to find the equilibrium point. These equations can then be solved using mathematical methods such as algebra or calculus.

5. Are there any limitations to using torque balancing and virtual work?

While torque balancing and virtual work are powerful tools for solving equations in force balancing, they do have some limitations. These concepts assume that the system is in static equilibrium and that all forces are known. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case, and additional factors such as friction and external forces may need to be considered.