Torque produced in lever setup

In summary, the conversation is about finding the torque around point D due to a force acting at point A in a setup with fixed point A and pivot point B. The force in BC is the reaction force from F in a simple lever setup, and this creates the torque at the top of member CD. The individual is struggling to determine if their attempts are correct and is asking for clarification. The solution involves finding the force in BC, which can then be used to calculate the torque around point D.
BatsDude
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've done much resolving forces stuff, and I'm struggling to make sure what I'm doing is right. I have a setup like below, and I want to find the torque around point D due to the force acting at point A.

I've had a couple attempts but I feel like I'm just guessing and I'm not sure if I'm correct.
I know the force acting at A produces a torque at the fulcrum of F*(alpha/2)*sin(theta) but is this the force that's also seen in the BC member? From what I understand, if I can find the force acting in the BC member, it should be easy to find the torque around point D.

Any help would be good! Thanks
SWs7w.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a question about the problem: is AB fixed on the fulcrum (just pivot), or can it also slide up and down in relation to the fulcrum? It has been a little while for me, as well.

Hi,

It's fixed on the pivot. Apologies for the lack of detail!

For anyone playing along, I've got a solution.
The force in BC is the reaction force from F in a simple lever setup.
Then this is the force acting at the top of member CD which creates the torque.

1. What is torque produced in a lever setup?

Torque refers to the rotational force produced by a lever setup. It is the product of the applied force and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated in a lever setup?

To calculate torque, you need to multiply the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the relationship between force and torque in a lever setup?

The relationship between force and torque in a lever setup is directly proportional. This means that as the applied force increases, the torque also increases, assuming the lever arm remains constant.

4. How does the placement of the applied force affect torque in a lever setup?

The placement of the applied force along the lever arm can greatly affect the torque produced. The farther the force is applied from the pivot point, the greater the torque will be.

5. What is the principle of moments in a lever setup?

The principle of moments states that the sum of the clockwise moments equals the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is used in calculating torque in a lever setup.