Torque v. Time Graph -- Find angular velocity

In summary, the object's angular velocity at 2.80s can be determined by taking the definite integral of the torque from t=0 to t=2.8s and dividing it by the moment of inertia. This can be done separately for each time interval and the results can be added together to find the final angular velocity.
adriannesmith

Homework Statement

An object whose moment of inertia is 3.00kgm2experiences the torque shown in the figure (Figure 1) . What is the object's angular velocity at 2.80s ? Assume it starts from rest.
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1073771/4/knight_Figure_13_21.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque=angular acceleration * moment of inertia
angular velocity = angular acceleration * change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I can understand of the problem, the angular acceleration is 0 (because torque is 0), but angular velocity is not zero so it must be some constant. However, I'm struggling how to figure out what that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular acceleration is the time derivative of angular velocity, so Idω/dt = τ. You get the angular velocity at a given instant by integrating the angular acceleration with respect to time.

Last edited:
ehild said:
The angular acceleration is the time derivative of angular velocity, so Idω/dt = τ. You get the angular velocity at a given instant by integrating the angular acceleration with respect to time.
Could you please ellaborate in context of this problem? I just can't find any examples of problems like this so I just need a little bit more explanation

By integrating angular acceleration with respect to time, I get w= at + c (constant). a= 0 t=2.8s but how do I determine the constant? Which will equal the velocity

adriannesmith said:
By integrating angular acceleration with respect to time, I get w= at + c (constant). a= 0 t=2.8s but how do I determine the constant? Which will equal the velocity
Use definite integral.
##\frac{d\omega}{dt }= \frac {\tau (t)}{I}##. Integrate from t=0 to t=2.8 s. You have to do the integral separately in all the three time intervals and add them

1. What is torque in relation to time and angular velocity?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly related to both time and angular velocity, as it is a product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How can you determine angular velocity from a torque v. time graph?

The slope of the torque v. time graph represents the change in torque over time, which is equal to the net force applied. By dividing this slope by the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation, you can calculate the object's angular velocity.

3. What does the shape of a torque v. time graph indicate?

The shape of a torque v. time graph can indicate the type of motion an object is undergoing. A constant slope indicates a constant torque and therefore a constant angular acceleration, while a curved line indicates a changing torque and acceleration.

4. How does the mass and distribution of an object affect its torque v. time graph?

The moment of inertia, which is used to calculate torque, is affected by both the mass and distribution of an object. Objects with a larger mass or a more spread out distribution will have a higher moment of inertia, resulting in a flatter torque v. time graph.

5. What are the units of measurement for torque v. time graph and angular velocity?

The units for torque v. time graph are Newton-meters (Nm) or Joules (J), while the units for angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s). These units represent the force and rotational motion of an object, respectively.