Does Leaving Torque Wrenches at High Settings Affect Calibration Accuracy?

In summary, an aerospace engineer discusses maintaining torque wrenches and testing them every 3 months with a 10% tolerance. They question the theory behind winding them back to zero and found that leaving them set at their in use settings did not affect their accuracy. However, it is important to take care of these precision tools as leaving the springs in compression for extended periods can cause them to become inaccurate over time.
shaun_598
Hi,

I hope this is in the correct section, please feel free to move it or advise me to move if it's in the incorrect section.

I work as an aerospace engineer and a sideline of what i do is to maintain the torque wrenches we use on the equipment. We have a set schedule for maintenance every 3 months on where we test them with a 10% tolerance using a accratorque rig.

We get told like I am sure most others do, that you should return the torque wrench to its lowest setting to prevent the wrench from becoming inaccurate. However, I've recently left some of the wrenches set at their in use settings, some at 50-75% of their max setting. I've found that upon testing them at the 3 month intervals they showed very little discrepancies just like those returned to the low settings.

Im curious what is the theory behind winding them back to zero? And can anyone explain why there was no difference when i left them set?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the type of wrench, but in general they use springs, for their relatively consistent spring constant, to set the torque. By leaving the spring compressed to say, 50-60% of it's maximum rated setting, you are leaving that spring in compression for an extended period of time.

Springs wear out, and are subject to creep just like any other material. Leaving the spring in compression for extended periods of time (or numerous different times) will lead to changes in the springs characteristics. This will eventually cause it to become innacurate, and likely very difficult to even calibrate properly.

It's not going to happen instantly, as you've seen after leaving yours set to torque, but these are "precision" tools and you want to take care of them.

1. What is torque wrench calibration?

Torque wrench calibration is the process of testing and adjusting a torque wrench to ensure it is accurately measuring torque. This is important for maintaining the quality and reliability of the tool's performance.

2. Why is torque wrench calibration important?

Proper calibration ensures that the torque applied by the wrench is accurate and consistent, which is crucial for the safety and accuracy of any work being performed. It also helps to prolong the lifespan of the torque wrench by preventing over-tightening or under-tightening of bolts and fasteners.

3. How often should a torque wrench be calibrated?

This can vary depending on the manufacturer's recommendations, but as a general rule, torque wrenches should be calibrated at least once a year. Frequent use or exposure to extreme conditions may require more frequent calibrations.

4. Can I calibrate my own torque wrench?

While it is possible to calibrate your own torque wrench, it is recommended to have it done by a professional calibration service. They have the proper equipment and expertise to ensure the most accurate results.

5. What happens during a torque wrench calibration?

During a calibration, the torque wrench is tested against a known standard to determine its accuracy. If any adjustments are needed, they are made to bring the wrench back to its proper calibration. The results are then recorded and a calibration certificate is provided.