Torquing Stainless screws into Aluminum

• Thread starter KeninCA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, when torquing a stainless steel screw into an aluminum threaded hole, it is important to consider the pull-out strength of the threads. This can be calculated by determining the preload, taking into account the thread engagement and shear area. It is also important to keep in mind the use of thread-locker, which may act as a lubricant during torquing. Utilizing torque values as a manufacturing standard can help prevent over-torqueing and damaging the aluminum threads.
KeninCA
I'm torquing a stainless steel 4-40 socket head machine screw into a 6061-T6 aluminum threaded hole.

I've located some torque tables that give differing values for different screw materials, but I'm wondering how this applies since I'm going into a threaded hole of a softer material.

We've chosen to use torque values as a manufacturing standard, and I don't want to over-torque what the aluminum threads can handle.

We are using a small amount of blue thread-locker, which may act as a lubricant during torquing.

Does anyone out there have experience in this application?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to calcuate the pull-out strength of the aluminum threads. Depending on your thread engagement, it could be the bolt will fail first, or it could be the threads will pull out.

At my work our standard is preload to 60% of whichever is lower. Here's an older thread on thread pullout strengths: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=389146

Keep in mind that the shear area should be considered (0.5 * pi * shear diameter * engagement). I missed that factor of two, note my signature :redface:

Related to Torquing Stainless screws into Aluminum

1. How does the torque required for stainless steel screws differ from that of regular screws?

Stainless steel screws typically have a higher torque requirement compared to regular screws due to their higher strength and hardness. This means that more force is needed to properly tighten them.

2. Is it safe to use stainless steel screws in aluminum?

Yes, it is safe to use stainless steel screws in aluminum as long as the correct torque is applied. However, it is important to use a lubricant to prevent galling, which can occur when two different metals are in contact and under high pressure.

3. What type of torque should be used for torquing stainless steel screws into aluminum?

The torque required for torquing stainless steel screws into aluminum depends on the size and grade of the screws, as well as the type of aluminum being used. It is important to consult a torque chart or the manufacturer's specifications to determine the appropriate torque for your specific application.

4. How can I prevent the screws from stripping when torquing them into aluminum?

To prevent screws from stripping, it is important to use the correct size and type of screwdriver or wrench. It is also recommended to use a threadlocker or anti-seize compound to ensure the screws stay in place and do not loosen over time.

5. Can I reuse stainless steel screws that have been torqued into aluminum?

It is not recommended to reuse stainless steel screws that have been torqued into aluminum, as the threads may have become damaged or stripped during the initial installation. It is best to use new screws for each application to ensure proper torque and prevent potential failures.