Torsion and stress on a beam question

I get R = .000208.In summary, a rectangular cross-section beam with dimensions 20cm by 10cm is subjected to a maximum bending moment of 360kNm. The second moment of area is calculated to be 0.00006m^3, and the maximum stress in the beam is 6x10^10 N/m^2. Using the value of E = 208x10^9 N/m^2, the radius of curvature is determined to be 0.000208m. However, there may be some errors in the calculations and unit management.
Confusedbiomedeng

Homework Statement

A rectangular Cross-section beam, 20cm deep by 10cm wide, is subjected to a maximum bending moment of 360kNm
A) Calculate the second moment of area of the beam cross-section
B) what is the maximum stress in the beam under this load
C) if the value of E for the beam of material is 208x109 n\M2 , determine the radius of curvature for that portion of the where the bending moment is 360kNm

Homework Equations

Ina=bh3/12 σ/y=m/Ina=E/R

The Attempt at a Solution

A)Ina=(0.1)(0.23)/12 =0.00006M3
B)σ/20/2=360x103/0.00006 σ=6x1010
C) 360x103/0.00006=208x109/R R=0.028mjust wondering if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Confusedbiomedeng said:
20cm deep by 10cm wide, is subjected to a maximum bending moment of 360kNm
how does the direction of bending relate to the depth/width?

Thats All that the question states??

Confusedbiomedeng said:
Thats All that the question states??
Ok. Your assumption that the bending is in the plane containing the 20cm dimension looks right.
But .00006 is not rounded correctly. Isn't it nearer .000067?

Confusedbiomedeng said:
σ/20/2
Please explain the 20/2. (I gather you mean σ/(20/2).)

yes i just rechecked and it comes up on the calculator as a recuring 6 so yes it would be 0.000067 or 0.00007, however keeping that error in mind is my method for the question correct? just this is a 25mark question and it seems very simple? i feel i am doing it incorrectly.

im taking the neutral axis as being the centre to the top of the 20cm section. therefore it being 10. sorry i know that's not the correct terms sorry if that doesn't help.

Confusedbiomedeng said:
yes i just rechecked and it comes up on the calculator as a recuring 6 so yes it would be 0.000067 or 0.00007, however keeping that error in mind is my method for the question correct? just this is a 25mark question and it seems very simple? i feel i am doing it incorrectly.
Your methods look ok but I am suspicious of your management of units. Shouldn't the 20/2 be .02/2?
I have been looking at your other post, where I see a calculation using numbers whose units involved mm, but no obvious conversion to standard units. You may have done the conversion ok somewhere along the line, but it takes a bit of checking.

yes I see that now thank you. i must really write them at the top of my page. but other then that I am good? thanks so much i will look over my conversions again.

Confusedbiomedeng said:
C) 360x103/0.00006=208x109/R R=0.028m
Check the arithmetic.

1. What is torsion and stress on a beam?

Torsion and stress on a beam refer to the forces and moments that are applied to a beam, causing it to twist and bend. These forces are typically caused by the weight of the beam itself and any external loads or forces acting on it.

2. How does torsion affect a beam?

Torsion can cause a beam to twist, which can lead to stress and strain in the material. This can result in bending or buckling of the beam, which can compromise its structural integrity.

3. What factors can contribute to torsion and stress on a beam?

Several factors can contribute to torsion and stress on a beam, including the type of material the beam is made of, the shape and size of the beam, the magnitude and direction of external loads, and the supports and connections used to hold the beam in place.

4. How do engineers calculate torsion and stress on a beam?

Engineers use mathematical equations and principles of mechanics, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, to calculate the torsion and stress on a beam. These calculations take into account the properties of the material, the external loads, and the geometry of the beam.

5. How can torsion and stress on a beam be reduced?

Torsion and stress on a beam can be reduced by using appropriate materials with high strength and stiffness, designing the beam with proper dimensions and supports, and carefully considering the placement and distribution of external loads. Reinforcements, such as braces or trusses, can also be used to reduce torsion and stress on a beam.