Torsion stress and twist criterion

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of maximum shear stress in a shaft using the max radius and the relationship between radius and shear stress. The professor's statement about a larger radius decreasing shear stress is seen as contradicting and causing confusion. The use of LaTex is requested to display equations more clearly.
xJJx
Hi, below i have attached a exercise sheet question with the solution, however i don't quite understand it. In torsion, the maximum shear stress of a shaft is determined using the max radius of the shaft. Also, when comparing two sections, the one with the larger radius gives a higher shear stress value. After rewatching the lecture, the professor said that a larger radius decreases the shear stress. I find this contradicting & now I am confused as to why the maximum diameter in the solution below gives a lower shear stress.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 504
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t read some key features of this because of your poor handwriting. Please use LaTex to display your equations.

1. What is torsion stress?

Torsion stress is a type of stress that occurs when a body is subjected to twisting or torquing forces. It is caused by a combination of shear stress and tensile or compressive stress.

2. How is torsion stress calculated?

Torsion stress can be calculated using the formula T/J = τ/R, where T is the applied torque, J is the polar moment of inertia, τ is the shear stress, and R is the radial distance from the center of the object.

3. What is the twist criterion?

The twist criterion is a measure of the maximum allowable twist in a material before it fails under torsion stress. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the original length of the material.

4. How is the twist criterion used in design?

In engineering design, the twist criterion is used to determine the maximum allowable torque that can be applied to a material without causing permanent deformation or failure. It is an important consideration in the design of structures and components that are subject to torsional loads.

5. What are the factors that affect torsion stress and the twist criterion?

The main factors that affect torsion stress and the twist criterion include the material properties of the object, the shape and size of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, and the boundary conditions of the object (i.e. how it is connected or supported).