Total energy, speed, resistive force

In summary, the skier reaches the bottom of the slope with speed 6 m(s^-1). The constant resistive force along the slope accounts for this final speed, which is calculated to be 23.4 m(s^-1).
furor celtica

Homework Statement

A skier of mass 70 kg sets off, with initial speed of 5 m(s^-1), down the line of greatest slope of an artificial ski-slope. The ski-slope is 80 metres long and is inclined at a constant angle of 20° to the horizontal. During the motion the skier is to be modeled as a particle.
- Ignoring air resistance and friction, calculate the speed of the skier at the bottom of the slope.
- The skier actually reaches the bottom of the slope with speed 6 m(s^-1). Calculate the magnitude of the constant resistive force along the slope which could account for this final speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question my work looks like this:
(Total energy at the top of the slope) = (total energy at the bottom of the slope)
=> (PE at the top of the slope + KE at the top of the slope) = (PE at the bottom of the slope + KE at the bottom of the slope)
=> ((70g x 80sin20) + (0.5 x 70 x 5^2)) = (0 + (0.5 x 70 x v^2))
Taking g=10
=> v = sqrt(((56000sin20) + (35 x 25))/35) = 23.9 m(s^-1) (to 3 s.f.)

However, the correct answer is 23.4 m(s^-1)

For the second question my work looks like this:
(PE + KE) at the top of the slope - (80F) = (PE + KE) at the bottom of the slope
Where F is the constant resistive force
This gives (56000sin20) + (35 x 25) – 80F = 35 x 36
=> 80F = (56000sin20) + (35 x 25) – (35 x 36)
=> F = ((56000sin20) + (35 x 25) – (35 x 36))/80
=> F = 234.6 N (to 1 d.p.)

However, the correct answer is 224 N Newtons (to 3 s.f. probably).

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use g=9.8 m/s^2 instead of 10. ehild

i know I'm supposed to use g=10 but i used g=9.8 anyway and that gives 23.7 ms^-1 and 230 N, which are both incorrect.
anything else?

I think your results are the correct ones. I have got the same.

ehild

then i wasted literally hours making the same calculations over and over. yay for textbook typos.
thanks for your help

Related to Total energy, speed, resistive force

1. What is total energy?

Total energy refers to the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. It is a measure of the energy that an object possesses due to its motion and position.

2. How is speed related to energy?

Speed is directly proportional to kinetic energy, meaning that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is resistive force?

Resistive force is the force that opposes the motion of an object. It can take many forms, such as friction, air resistance, or drag. The amount of resistive force acting on an object depends on its speed, surface area, and the properties of the medium it is moving through.

4. How does resistive force affect the speed of an object?

Resistive force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, therefore it can decrease the object's speed. The greater the resistive force, the greater the decrease in speed. This is why it is important to consider resistive forces when designing objects that need to reach certain speeds.

5. Can total energy be converted into different forms?

Yes, total energy can be converted from one form to another. For example, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as an object falls due to gravity. Energy can also be converted into heat or light energy through various processes. However, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, according to the Law of Conservation of Energy.