What Is the Minimum Index of Refraction for Total Internal Reflection?

In summary, total internal reflection occurs when a light beam hits a medium boundary at a wide angle and completely bounces off without crossing it. This can happen when a light beam hits a prism at a certain angle, causing it to bounce back into the prism instead of passing through. The minimum possible index of refraction for this prism can be determined using Snell's law.
aimslin22

Homework Statement

The prism is replaced by a new prism of the same shape, which is set in the same position. The light beam experiences total internal reflection at the right surface of this prism. What is the minimum possible index of refraction of this prism?

Homework Equations

Snell's law

nsinx=nsinx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think know how to do it, I just need to know what "total internal reflection" means. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Total internal reflection is what occurs when the light hits a medium boundry at such a wide angle the the light completely 'bounces' off the boundry, without crossing it.
For example, if the light hits a boundry of a perspex prism and air - and bounces back into the prism instead of proceeding out into the air.
If I remember correctly, the angle is hits the boundry at is the angle is bounces back at.

...so the angles in Snell's law would be the same?

Well I'm not sure - Because you only seem to have a fragment of the question there which refers to other sections of the question.
However, since you said you only needed to know what total internal reflection is - and my explanation doesn't work for you - have a lookhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_internal_reflection"
That should have a nice explanation and plenty of pictures to explain it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I think I get it now

Related to What Is the Minimum Index of Refraction for Total Internal Reflection?

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium reaches the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. Instead of passing through the boundary, the light ray is reflected back into the denser medium, resulting in no light being transmitted through the boundary.

What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a light ray traveling through a denser medium reaches the boundary of a less dense medium and undergoes total internal reflection. It is calculated by taking the inverse sine of the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

What are some examples of total internal reflection?

One common example of total internal reflection is the mirage effect seen on hot roads or deserts, where the light rays from the sky are reflected off the boundary between the hot ground and the cooler air, creating the illusion of water. Another example is the use of optical fibers, where total internal reflection is used to transmit light signals over long distances.

What factors affect total internal reflection?

The angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the smoothness of the boundary between the two media all affect total internal reflection. A larger difference in refractive indices and a smoother boundary increase the likelihood of total internal reflection occurring.

What are the applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has many applications in technology, such as in fiber optics, binoculars, and periscopes. It is also used in nature, such as in the eyes of certain animals that have a layer of reflective cells that allow them to see in dim lighting conditions.