Total pressure at a depth in a fluid

In summary, there is some confusion about whether atmospheric pressure should be included when calculating total pressure at a depth in a fluid. While it is more accurate to include atmospheric pressure, it often has a negligible effect on the total pressure and is often not included in textbook problems. It is best to clarify with your teacher if you are unsure. However, it is important to note that the atmospheric pressure is equivalent to the pressure of 10 meters depth of water, so it can be used as a reference point.
Molly1235
Hello,

I would just like some clarification on this...

When you calculate "total" pressure at a depth in a fluid do you have to add on the value for atmospheric pressure??

Thanks,
Molly :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to be very accurate, yes. However the atmospheric pressure adds so little to the pressure due to the fluid that most textbook problems only deal with the fluid pressure. If you are asking about problems for a course, it would be best to ask your teacher.

HallsofIvy said:
If you want to be very accurate, yes. However the atmospheric pressure adds so little to the pressure due to the fluid that most textbook problems only deal with the fluid pressure. If you are asking about problems for a course, it would be best to ask your teacher.

Ok, I was just confused because there was this one question from an old book that gave us the value of atmospheric pressure whereas none of the other questions have so I haven't included it but still got the answers right...thank you!:)

the atmosphere has the same pressure as 10 meters depth of water, if I remember right. So if you are 20m underwater, then you will experience a pressure of 3 times normal.

edit: after seeing your reply, I guess the 'total pressure' was the total pressure with respect to atmospheric pressure. (i.e. not inlcuding the pressure of the atmosphere). I think this is fairly common.

Hello Molly,

Thank you for your question. The answer to your question depends on the context in which you are calculating the total pressure at a depth in a fluid. If you are calculating the total pressure at a specific depth in a closed system, then you would not need to add on the value for atmospheric pressure because the pressure at that depth would already include the atmospheric pressure. However, if you are calculating the total pressure at a specific depth in an open system, then you would need to add on the value for atmospheric pressure because the pressure at that depth would only include the pressure from the fluid itself.

I hope this helps clarify your question. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,

Related to Total pressure at a depth in a fluid

1. What is total pressure at a depth in a fluid?

Total pressure at a depth in a fluid is the sum of the atmospheric pressure and the hydrostatic pressure exerted by the weight of the fluid above that depth. It is a measure of the force per unit area that the fluid exerts on a surface at that depth.

2. How is total pressure at a depth in a fluid calculated?

Total pressure at a depth in a fluid can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh + Patm, where P is the total pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth, and Patm is the atmospheric pressure.

3. What is the relationship between depth and total pressure in a fluid?

As the depth in a fluid increases, the total pressure also increases. This is because the weight of the fluid above the depth increases, leading to a higher hydrostatic pressure. However, the atmospheric pressure remains constant regardless of depth.

4. Does the density of the fluid affect the total pressure at a depth?

Yes, the density of the fluid does affect the total pressure at a depth. A denser fluid will exert a greater force per unit area on a surface at a certain depth, resulting in a higher total pressure.

5. How does the total pressure at a depth in a fluid change with changes in atmospheric pressure?

The total pressure at a depth in a fluid will change if there is a change in atmospheric pressure. An increase in atmospheric pressure will result in a higher total pressure at a certain depth, while a decrease in atmospheric pressure will result in a lower total pressure at the same depth.