Tough physics problem. Conical pendulum.

In summary, the conversation discussed a conical pendulum and the variables involved, such as the mass of the bob, the length of the string, and the circumference of the circular path. The problem also asked for the tension in the string and the period of the motion. The conversation then went on to derive the expression for tension and discussed why it may not be entirely accurate.
dlreynolds562

Homework Statement

Hey, thanks for taking a look at this.

"The figure below shows a conical pendulum, in which the bob (the small object at the lower end of the cord) moves in a horizontal circle at constant speed. (The cord sweeps out a cone as the bob rotates.) The bob has a mass m, the string has a length L and negligible mass, and the bob follows a circular path of the circumference C. What are the tension in the string and the period of the motion? (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g for the acceleration of gravity.)"

The figure is just the conical pendulum as described.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by breaking tension into x and y components.

Tx = Tsinθ & Ty = Tcosθ

Force balance in the y direction

ƩFy = Ty - mg = 0
=> Tcosθ = mg

Force balance in the x direction

ƩFx = Tsinθ

I guess this is just equal to the centripetal force?

Tsinθ = mv^2/r

... so I guess to answer the first question T = mg/cosθ, but it says not to leave it in terms of theta

cosθ = h/L

using Pythagorean theorem

h^2 = L^2 - R^2

and also C = 2∏r, -> r = C/(2∏)

h = sqrt(L^2 - (C/(2∏)^2)

Now plugging all that into the equation from above

Tcosθ = mg

gives

T = mgL/sqrt(L^2-(C/2∏)^2)

This is what I have so far and I really don't think it is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that is not right?

Your tension expression looks okay to me :smile:

1. What is a Conical Pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob (the weight at the end of the string) moves in a circular path instead of a straight line, creating a conical shape.

2. How does a Conical Pendulum work?

The bob of a conical pendulum moves in a circular path due to the combination of its weight and the tension in the string. This tension acts as a centripetal force, keeping the bob in its circular motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a Conical Pendulum?

The motion of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bob, the speed of rotation, and the angle at which the string is released.

4. How can I solve a Tough Physics Problem involving a Conical Pendulum?

To solve a tough physics problem involving a conical pendulum, you will need to understand the basic principles of circular motion and centripetal force. You will also need to use equations such as Newton's second law and conservation of energy to analyze the problem and find a solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of a Conical Pendulum?

Conical pendulums are commonly used in amusement park rides, such as the Swinging Ship, to create a swinging motion. They are also used in some types of clocks and pendulum-based devices to measure time and motion.