An issue with Conical Pendulums

In summary: It should be mentioned that the height, radius, velocity, centripetal acceleration, and angle are unknown.In summary, the Ukrainian cat's mass rotates around a center every 3.22 seconds, at an angle of ##\frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha##. The centripetal force is F_T\sin\alpha, and the tension in the tether is FTx.
ohmanitsDAAAAAN

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum with an unelastic tether has a mass of 4.25 kg attached to it. The tether is 2.78 m. The mass travels around the center every 3.22 seconds.

What angle does the rope make in relation to its original position?
m=4.25 kg
T=3.22 s
L=2.78 m

Homework Equations

FTx=4(pi^2)R/T^2m
FTy=mg
R=Lcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the angle, I decided to use equations for force tension, then set the equations equal to each other using trigonometric functions, cosine on the equation for FTy and sine on the equation for FTx. The cosine on FTy canceled out with the cosine on the inserted equation for R, as well as the mass on both sides, leaving me with 4(pi^2)Lcos(phi)/T^2 on one side of the equation, and g on the other. However, I seem to have hit a snag. I cannot use inverse trig functions, as I do not have phi yet. I either messed up the symbolics, or something else is amiss.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be mentioned that the height, radius, velocity, centripetal acceleration, and angle are unknown.

Also unrelated yet mentionable, the mass in question is a cat a disgruntled Ukrainian tied up.

I'm not following your working.
i.e. I don't know what you mean by "I use the force-tension equations" ... shouldn't you be using physics?

Recap: You have the mass m, the period T of the rotation, the length L of the tether, and you know it is a cone - so you just need a free-body diagram. What sort of motion does the mass execute? What should the forces add up to.

If the half-angle at the apex of the cone is ##\alpha##, then ##L\sin\alpha = R##, the radius of the base...
Then ##F_T\sin\alpha=F_c## is the centripetal force, and ##mg=F_T\cos\alpha##
... is that where you are up to? I think you have ##\phi = \frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha## giving you cosines where I have sines.

You should be able to get ##F_T## and ##\phi## by simultaneous equations.

A disgruntled cat tied up as a conical pendulum seems pretty unmentionable to me...

ohmanitsDAAAAAN said:

Homework Equations

FTx=4(pi^2)R/T^2m
FTy=mg
R=Lcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the angle, I decided to use equations for force tension, then set the equations equal to each other using trigonometric functions, cosine on the equation for FTy and sine on the equation for FTx. The cosine on FTy canceled out with the cosine on the inserted equation for R, as well as the mass on both sides, leaving me with 4(pi^2)Lcos(phi)/T^2 on one side of the equation, and g on the other. However, I seem to have hit a snag. I cannot use inverse trig functions, as I do not have phi yet. I either messed up the symbolics, or something else is amiss.
It is confusing that you use T both for tension and time period. If FT is the tension, you can eliminate it by dividing the x and y components, giving ##\frac{4\pi^2R}{gT^2}=tan(\phi)##. Substitute the third equation for R. And you certainly know how the tangent and cosine of an angle are related.

I would approach this problem by first checking my calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. I would also double check the units to make sure they are consistent. If I am confident in my equations, I would then proceed to solve for the angle using algebraic manipulation or numerical methods. Alternatively, I could also use a simulation or experiment to verify my calculations and determine the angle. If I am still unable to find a solution, I would seek help from colleagues or consult literature on conical pendulums.

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a simple mechanical system that consists of a mass attached to a string or rod, which is then suspended from a fixed point. The mass is allowed to swing freely in a circular motion, forming a cone shape.

2. How does a conical pendulum work?

A conical pendulum works by converting the potential energy of the mass at the highest point of the cone into kinetic energy as it swings down. This kinetic energy is then converted back into potential energy as the mass swings back up, repeating the cycle.

3. What are some real-life applications of conical pendulums?

Conical pendulums are commonly used in amusement park rides, such as the swings or the pirate ship. They are also used in seismometers to measure earthquakes and in instruments to measure the speed of a rotating object.

4. What factors affect the period of a conical pendulum?

The period of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the object, and the angle at which the string or rod is suspended. The period is also affected by the force of gravity and air resistance.

5. What are some common issues with conical pendulums?

One common issue with conical pendulums is the presence of friction or air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the period. Another issue is the precision of the measurements, as small errors in measurement can result in significant differences in the calculated period.