Conical Pendulum with lift and tension

In summary, the model airplane has a small gas powered motor in it to allow it to fly. It is tethered by a long cord to its controller. The plane is flying in a circle at the end of the cord around the controller who uses the tether to control the altitude of flight of the plane. The plane's speed is 13.0 m/s and its mass is 1.25 kg.
physicszilla

Homework Statement

A model airplane has a small gas powered motor in it to allow it to fly. It is tethered its controller by a long
cord. The plane will fly in a circle at the end of this cord around the controller who uses the tether to control
the altitude of flight of the plane. Currently the plane is flying in level flight while the cord makes an angle
above the horizontal. The plane’s speed is 13.0 m/s and its mass is 1.25 kg. The cord is 10.0 meters long.

A) What is the tension on the cord?
B) What is the angle the cord makes with the horizontal?
C) What is the amount of lift the wings are providing to the plane?

Homework Equations

Fx= Tcosθ + Lsinθ= m(v^2)/r
Fy = Tsinθ + Lcosθ - mg = 0
r = 10cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working on this problem for a while. I am starting to become convinced that there are too many unknowns in the problem and that it is flawed. You could solve for T in each equation and then set the equations equal to each other to get ((mv^2/r) - Lsinθ)/cosθ = (-Lcosθ +mg)/sinθ . You eliminate 1 unknown and now you have 3 unknowns. Then you can eliminate r by substituting 10cosθ and then you would have 2 unkowns. If I was only looking for the angle, I"m pretty sure I could set something up including a quadratic equation. The problem is defining L. Maybe I set the problem up wrong in the beginning. I'm new to this forum but any help would be appreciated. I ended up here so far

(mv^2sinθ)/10(1-sin^2θ)-mg = -L(cos^2θ-sin^2θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
The main job is to pull the aircraft inward and L lifting the aircraft. Without the string the aircraft has to bank so that there are components forces.
Here the centripetal force is provided by the string with added force to the weight.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
The main job is to pull the aircraft inward and L lifting the aircraft. Without the string the aircraft has to bank so that there are components forces.
Here the centripetal force is provided by the string with added force to the weight.

Ok. Well I was assuming that the aircraft was banking. I've thought about what you are saying. In essence, you are saying that the centripetal force is only provided by the horizontal component of the tension such that Fx= Tcosθ = m(v^2)/r ( and since there is no banking, lift only comes into play in the y dimension such that Fy = Tsinθ + Lcosθ - mg = 0 ?

(Mv^2sintheta/10cos^2theta) -mg = L according to your set up but still a dead end. I would love to solve for theta but we don't know r. Circular logic...

TCos(x)=mv^2/r , T=?
Cox(x)=r/10, Sinx=?, Tanx=?
Since c and T are both in same direction

(Mg +TSin(x))/(mv^2/r)=Tan(x)

Edit
L=mg +TSin(x)

I'm looking at your reply and I've done something similar with the trig but it gets me nowhere. I also don't see L in the equation. What you did is tan(theta)= Ty/Tx but Ty is not equal to mg + Tsin(theta).

Just substitute T in term of r and only one unknown "r" in the equation. I use computer to solve it.

I don't think your equation is correct. You are equating L with Ty. Also, to substitute T in terms of r, you bring an unknown angle back into it getting you nowhere since r = 10costheta.

So does anybody out there have a way to solve this? I just noticed 153 views and I am coming to the conclusion that there is not enough info to solve after several days of rearranging and rearranging.

What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The weight moves in a circular path rather than a straight line, due to the tension of the string and the force of gravity.

How is a conical pendulum different from a regular pendulum?

A regular pendulum moves back and forth in a straight line, while a conical pendulum moves in a circular path. Additionally, a conical pendulum is affected by both tension and gravity, while a regular pendulum is only affected by gravity.

What is the role of lift in a conical pendulum?

Lift is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of the weight's motion in a conical pendulum. It is caused by the weight's circular motion and is necessary to keep the weight moving in a circular path.

How does tension affect a conical pendulum?

Tension is the force that acts along the string or rod in a conical pendulum. It is responsible for keeping the weight suspended and also plays a role in determining the speed of the weight's circular motion.

What factors affect the period of a conical pendulum?

The period, or time for one complete revolution, of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the weight, and the angle of the string or rod with respect to the vertical. These factors can be manipulated to change the period of the pendulum.