Trace Distance in quantum mechanics

In summary: Therefore, the trace distance is given by ##D(\rho,\sigma) = \frac{1}{2} \sum_m |tr(E_m(\rho-\sigma))|##.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of trace distance in quantum mechanics and the proof of Theorem 9.1. The main question is how to obtain the relation ##|\rho-\sigma| = Q+S## and the conversation provides a step-by-step explanation of the proof. The conclusion is that the trace distance is given by ##D(\rho,\sigma) = \frac{1}{2} \sum_m |tr(E_m(\rho-\sigma))|##, where ##Q## and ##S## are positive operators with orthogonal
Emil_M
Hi, I am trying to familiarize myself with the quantum mechanical trace distance and hit a brick wall. Thus, I would appreciate your help with the matter!

I am reading up on trace distance using Nielsen, Chunang - Quantum Computation and Quantum Information and Bengtsson, Zyczkowski - Geometry of quantum states; an introduction to quantum entanglement.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to wrap my head around the prove of Theorem 9.1 in Nielsen, Chuang.

It states:

Let ##\{E_m\}## be a set of POVMs, with ##p_m:=tr(\rho E_m)## and ##q_m:=tr(\sigma E_m)## as the probabilities of obtaining a measurement outcome labeled by ##m##. Then ##D(\rho,\sigma) = max_{\{E_m\}} D(q_m, q_m)##, where the maximization is over all POVMs.

The prove of this theorem states:

Note that ##D(p_m,q_m ) =\frac{1}{2} \sum_m |tr(E_m(\rho-\sigma))|##.

Using the spectral decomposition, we may write ##\sigma - \rho =Q-S##, where ##Q## and ##S## are positive operators with orthogonal support. Thus ##|\rho-\sigma| = Q+S##.
Here ##|A|:=\sqrt{|A^\dagger A|}##How exactly does one obtain this last relation?

I have tried writing ##\rho-\sigma## as ##UDU^\dagger## and split the diagonal matrix into positive and negative parts.

This yields:

[itex] \rho-\sigma= UQU^\dagger + USU^\dagger[/itex]

[itex]\begin{align*}|\rho-\sigma|&=\sqrt{\big( UDU^\dagger\big)^\dagger \big( UDU^\dagger\big)}\\
&=\sqrt{\big( UD^\dagger U^\dagger\big) \big( UDU^\dagger\big)}\\
&=UDU^\dagger = Q-S\end{align*}[/itex] since ##D## is diagonal and real, right?

However that doesn't look like it's correct at all.

Could you guys help me out? Thanks!

The OP might already solved the problem, but here we go.
Emil_M said:
Using the spectral decomposition, we may write ##\sigma - \rho =Q-S##, where ##Q## and ##S## are positive operators with orthogonal support.
The keyword is "orthogonal". ## \rho - \sigma ## is Hermitian so by the spectral decomposition,
[tex] \rho - \sigma = \sum_i \lambda_i P_i, [/tex]
where the ##\lambda_i##'s are eigenvalues with the corresponding orthogonal projections ##P_i## onto the eigenvectors. Both [tex]\sum_{\substack{i \\ \lambda_i \ge 0}} \lambda_i P_i[/tex] and [tex] - \sum_{\substack{i \\ \lambda_i < 0}} \lambda_i P_i [/tex] are positive operators. Call them ##Q## and ##S## respectively so that [tex] \rho - \sigma = Q - S. [/tex]
Then ## | \rho - \sigma | = Q + S ## because ##Q## and ##S## are orthogonal i.e. ##QS = SQ = 0##.

1. What is trace distance in quantum mechanics?

Trace distance in quantum mechanics is a measure of the difference between two quantum states. It is calculated as the maximum difference between the probabilities of obtaining the same outcome from two quantum states when measured with any set of measurements. In simpler terms, it quantifies how much two quantum states diverge from each other.

2. How is trace distance used in quantum information theory?

In quantum information theory, trace distance is used to quantify the distinguishability of two quantum states. It plays a crucial role in tasks such as quantum state discrimination and quantum error correction. It also helps in characterizing the security of quantum cryptographic protocols.

3. Can trace distance be negative?

No, trace distance cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative real number, with a value of 0 indicating that the two quantum states are identical and a larger value indicating a greater difference between them.

4. How is trace distance related to other measures of quantum state distance?

Trace distance is one of the many measures of quantum state distance. It is closely related to other measures such as fidelity, Bures distance, and Hilbert-Schmidt distance. For certain types of quantum states, these measures can be converted into each other using simple mathematical equations.

5. Is there a practical application of trace distance in quantum computing?

Yes, trace distance has several practical applications in quantum computing. It is used in tasks such as quantum state tomography, quantum process tomography, and quantum state verification. It is also an important tool for evaluating the performance of quantum algorithms and quantum error correction codes.