Proof - Trace-preserving quantum operations are contractive

In summary: Tr(P\mathcal{E}(Q)) &= \sum_i \langle i| P\mathcal{E}(Q)|i\rangle \\ &= \sum_i \langle i| \mathcal{E}(Q)|i\rangle \qquad \qquad (\text{since } P=|i \rangle \langle i |)\\ &= Tr(\mathcal{E}(Q)) \qquad \qquad (\text{since } Q \text{ is also diagonal in this basis})\\ &\geq 0 \qquad \qquad (\text{since
Emil_M

Homework Statement

Let [itex] \mathcal{E}[/itex] be a trace-preserving quantum operation. Let [itex] \rho [/itex] and [itex]\sigma [/itex]
be density operators. Show that [itex]
D(\mathcal{E}(\rho), \mathcal{E}(\sigma)) \leq D(\rho,\sigma)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]D(\rho, \sigma) := \frac{1}{2} Tr \lvert \rho-\sigma\rvert [/itex]
We can write [itex] \rho-\sigma=Q-S [/itex] where [itex] Q [/itex] and [itex] S[/itex] are positive matrices with orthogonal support. We choose a projector [itex] P [/itex], such that [itex]
D(\mathcal{E}(\rho), \mathcal{E}(\sigma))=Tr(P(\mathcal{E}(\rho)-\mathcal{E}(\sigma)))
[/itex]
[itex] [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
\begin{align*}
D(\rho, \sigma) &=\frac{1}{2} Tr \lvert \rho-\sigma\rvert \\
&=\frac{1}{2} Tr \lvert Q-S\rvert \\
&=\frac{1}{2}(Tr(Q)+Tr(S))\\
&=\frac{1}{2}(Tr(\mathcal{E}(Q)+\mathcal{E}(S))\\
&=Tr(\mathcal{E}(Q))\;\; \Big(\text{since } Tr(Q)=Tr(S) \Big) \\
&\geq Tr(P\mathcal{E}(Q))
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Why is the last step valid? Why can a projector never increase the trace?

Thanks for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say we have an operator [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] with eigenbasis [itex]\{|i \rangle\}[/itex]. Then we can conveniently express both the trace and the projector in terms of this eigenbasis: [tex]\mathrm{Tr}[\hat{O}] = \sum_{i} \langle i | \hat{O} | i \rangle \qquad \qquad \hat{P} = \sum_{i,j} a_{i}a_{j}^{*} |i\rangle \langle j| \quad \mathrm{where } \sum_{i} |a_{i}|^{2} = 1[/tex]
Inserting these expressions into [itex]\mathrm{Tr}[\hat{P} \hat{H}][/itex] and using the fact that [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] is diagonal in this basis should enable you to prove that [tex]\mathrm{Tr}[\hat{P} \hat{H}] \leq \mathrm{Tr}[\hat{H}] [/tex]

Thanks

1. What is the significance of "trace-preserving" in quantum operations?

Trace-preserving quantum operations ensure that the total probability of a quantum system remains constant. This is necessary for maintaining the unitarity of the system and preventing information loss.

2. How do you prove that a quantum operation is trace-preserving?

A common method of proof is to use the Choi-Jamiolkowski isomorphism, which maps a quantum operation onto a positive semi-definite operator. If the operator has a trace of 1, then the quantum operation is trace-preserving.

3. What does it mean for a quantum operation to be contractive?

A contractive quantum operation is one that decreases the distinguishability between quantum states. This is an important property in quantum information processing as it ensures the security of quantum protocols.

4. How is the contractivity of a quantum operation measured?

The contractivity of a quantum operation can be quantified using various metrics, such as the fidelity measure or the trace distance. These measures compare the output states of the quantum operation to the input states and determine the degree of contractivity.

5. Why is it important for quantum operations to be contractive?

Contractive quantum operations are crucial for the efficient and secure processing of quantum information. They prevent the leakage of sensitive information and ensure the reliability of quantum protocols, such as quantum key distribution and quantum teleportation.