Train Motion Homework: Review Criteria & Find Solution

In summary, as an engineer working for a new interstate bullet train start-up company, your job is to review your boss's proposed function x(t)=0.0011 m/s^3 t^3 and determine if it successfully meets the criteria of starting at rest, not exceeding a speed of 24 m/s, not exceeding an acceleration of 1 m/s^2, and covering the 1500-meter-long segment in less than 2 minutes. After trying higher and lower power terms, you have found that the proposed function fails to meet at least one of the criteria. However, after receiving some help, you have found a piecewise function that satisfies all four criteria, but are still unsure of how it was derived.
Eblack904

Homework Statement

You are an engineer working for a new interstate bullet train start-up company. Your manager, Saul Enderman, is charged with designing the first 1500-meter-long segment of a new train line. (Another team is in charge of designing the remaining segments of the line.) During this initial segment of track, the trains must meet the following criteria:
The train must start at the station at rest (velocity = 0).
The train’s speed must not exceed 24 m/s.
The train’s acceleration must not exceed 1 m/s2.
The train must cover the 1500-meter-long segment in less than 2 minutes (120 seconds).
Your manager has decided that the train’s motion should be described by the function x(t)=0.0011 m/s^3 t^3, where x is the train’s position along the track (with x=0 being the starting position at the station) and t is the amount of time since the train has left the station (with t=0 being the starting time at which the train leaves the station).
Your job is to review your boss’s proposed function and determine which of the above criteria it successfully meets and which it fails to meet. (Hint: It fails at least one.) If your boss’s proposed function fails any of the criteria, propose another function that meets all four criteria. Explain how you reviewed your boss’s function and your function and determined their successes or failures.

Homework Equations

x(t)=0.0011 m/s^3 t^3
or maybe 1500msin^2(pi*t/240s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to do this using higher and lower power terms and have failed both times. I am so lost at this point

Physics news on Phys.org
Eblack904 said:

Homework Statement

You are an engineer working for a new interstate bullet train start-up company. Your manager, Saul Enderman, is charged with designing the first 1500-meter-long segment of a new train line. (Another team is in charge of designing the remaining segments of the line.) During this initial segment of track, the trains must meet the following criteria:
The train must start at the station at rest (velocity = 0).
The train’s speed must not exceed 24 m/s.
The train’s acceleration must not exceed 1 m/s2.
The train must cover the 1500-meter-long segment in less than 2 minutes (120 seconds).
Your manager has decided that the train’s motion should be described by the function x(t)=0.0011 m/s^3 t^3, where x is the train’s position along the track (with x=0 being the starting position at the station) and t is the amount of time since the train has left the station (with t=0 being the starting time at which the train leaves the station).
Your job is to review your boss’s proposed function and determine which of the above criteria it successfully meets and which it fails to meet. (Hint: It fails at least one.) If your boss’s proposed function fails any of the criteria, propose another function that meets all four criteria. Explain how you reviewed your boss’s function and your function and determined their successes or failures.

Homework Equations

x(t)=0.0011 m/s^3 t^3
or maybe 1500msin^2(pi*t/240s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to do this using higher and lower power terms and have failed both times. I am so lost at this point

The question is about being about to answer questions about the speed and acceleration of the train knowing x(t). It's not complicated. The velocity is the derivative of x(t) and the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity. You know that much I hope. You should at least be able to start. Handling the last question doesn't even require knowing that. Just try?

Dick said:
The question is about being about to answer questions about the speed and acceleration of the train knowing x(t). It's not complicated. The velocity is the derivative of x(t) and the acceleration is the derivative of the velocity. You know that much I hope. You should at least be able to start. Handling the last question doesn't even require knowing that. Just try?

I have been working on this for a few days. The issue is not that it is hard to take the derivatives of the function i was given. The issue is that whenever i find a new equation to satisfy one criteria, it fails another.

Eblack904 said:
I have been working on this for a few days. The issue is not that it is hard to take the derivatives of the function i was given. The issue is that whenever i find a new equation to satisfy one criteria, it fails another.

Not sure I see what the problem is. Start with the first question. Is the velocity zero at t=0? What's your expression for the velocity v(t)?

Dick said:
Not sure I see what the problem is. Start with the first question. Is the velocity zero at t=0? What's your expression for the velocity v(t)?

Velocity is 0 at t =0. my function is V(t) = .0033m/s^3 t^2. which then fails the velocity at 120 seconds. And when i start to change any of the coefficients it just gets worse. I have even tried it in this format v(t) = 3at^2-2bt

Eblack904 said:
Velocity is 0 at t =0. my function is V(t) = .0033m/s^3 t^2. which then fails the velocity at 120 seconds. And when i start to change any of the coefficients it just gets worse. I have even tried it in this format v(t) = 3at^2-2bt

Ah, I see what's making it hard. It is a little tricky to do it that way. How about taking a simple approach. Just accelerate at 1m/s^2 for 24 seconds. Then stop accelerating.

Dick said:
Ah, I see what's making it hard. It is a little tricky to do it that way. How about taking a simple approach. Just accelerate at 1m/s^2 for 24 seconds. Then stop accelerating.

Well someone helped me come up with a piecewise function. which reads

x(t) = (0m/s)t+1/2(1m/s^2)t^2 if 0≤t≤24
(24m/s)(t-24) if t≥24

However they could not really explain to me how they got that. They said something about equation of motion and constant acceleration. but we haven't learned any equations of motion yet. we are only in our second week.

Eblack904 said:
Well someone helped me come up with a piecewise function. which reads

x(t) = (0m/s)t+1/2(1m/s^2)t^2 if 0≤t≤24
(24m/s)(t-24) if t≥24

However they could not really explain to me how they got that. They said something about equation of motion and constant acceleration. but we haven't learned any equations of motion yet. we are only in our second week.

That's pretty much what I was suggesting. For the first 24 seconds v(t)=(1m/s^2)t and a(t)=(1m/s^2). You get the first piece by just starting from a(t)=(1m/s^2) and working backwards. And the second piece isn't quite right. x(24) should be the same number on both pieces, shouldn't it?

Dick said:
That's pretty much what I was suggesting. For the first 24 seconds v(t)=(1m/s^2)t and a(t)=(1m/s^2). You get the first piece by just starting from a(t)=(1m/s^2) and working backwards. And the second piece isn't quite right. x(24) should be the same number on both pieces, shouldn't it?

I don't think so. it should be x(120). so x(24) for first part and then x(120-24) for the second piece right?

Eblack904 said:
I don't think so. it should be x(120). so x(24) for first part and then x(120-24) for the second piece right?

I'm not sure I see why. I'm just saying that if you graph the first piece for 0<=x<=24 and the second part for 24<=x<=120, they should have the same value at x=24. The train can't suddenly jump from one to another.

1. What is the purpose of "Train Motion Homework: Review Criteria & Find Solution"?

The purpose of this homework is to review the criteria for train motion and find a solution to a given problem. It allows students to apply their knowledge of train motion to a real-world scenario and practice problem-solving skills.

2. What are the criteria for train motion?

The criteria for train motion include distance, displacement, speed, velocity, acceleration, and time. These factors are used to describe the motion of a train and can be calculated using specific formulas.

3. How can I find the solution to the given problem?

To find the solution to the given problem, you will need to use the criteria for train motion and apply the relevant formulas. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the known and unknown values, and choose the appropriate formula to solve for the unknown value.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving train motion problems?

Some common mistakes when solving train motion problems include using the wrong formula, misinterpreting the given information, and incorrect unit conversions. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all calculations are accurate.

5. How can I improve my understanding of train motion?

To improve your understanding of train motion, you can practice solving various problems and familiarize yourself with the formulas and units involved. It can also be helpful to visualize the motion using diagrams or real-world examples. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can clarify any confusion and improve your understanding.