Trains colliding and latching together

• Thread starter mrshappy0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary, two train cars collide and latch together, with the first car having a mass of 550 kg and a speed of 7.2 m/s, and the combined cars moving off at a final speed of 4.7 m/s. Using the equation for conservation of momentum, m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)vf, the mass of the second train car can be solved for, with an answer of 292.55 kg.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

A train car with mass m1 = 550 kg is moving to the right with a speed of v1 = 7.2 m/s and collides with a second train car. The two cars latch together during the collision and then move off to the right at vf = 4.7 m/s.2)What is the mass of the second train car?

Homework Equations

momentum before = momentum after.

kinetic energy before does not equal kinetic after.

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, I assumed the second car is not moving and solved for v final using this:

m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v final.

My answer was wrong. Any ideas. My guess is that I shouldn't assume the second train car isn't moving but I don't know another way to solve it in that case.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do u know that your answer is incorrect i attempted your problem your equation m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)vf appears correct to me it gives 550*7.2+0=(550+m2)4.7 and I got an answer of 292.55 kg.

1. What causes trains to collide and latch together?

There are a few potential causes for trains colliding and latching together, including human error, mechanical failure, faulty signals, and track obstructions.

2. How often do trains collide and latch together?

Fortunately, train collisions and latching are rare occurrences, as railway companies have strict safety protocols in place to prevent these accidents. However, they can still happen due to unforeseen circumstances.

3. What happens when trains collide and latch together?

When trains collide and latch together, the impact can cause significant damage to the trains and surrounding infrastructure. It can also result in injuries or fatalities to passengers and crew members.

4. Can trains be separated after colliding and latching together?

In some cases, trains can be separated after colliding and latching together, but it depends on the severity of the collision and the type of trains involved. In some cases, it may require specialized equipment and trained personnel to safely separate the trains.

5. What measures are taken to prevent train collisions and latching?

Railway companies have various safety measures in place to prevent train collisions and latching, such as strict signaling systems, speed restrictions, and regular maintenance checks on trains and tracks. Additionally, training programs for railway personnel and advanced technology systems are also utilized to minimize the risk of these accidents.